Chapter 7

It had been five days since Stefan's confession. Five days since he told Elena that he was in love with Katherine, and she still hadn't decided what to do. Her mind was constantly torn between convincing Stefan that she wasn't right for him, or just letting whatever was meant to happen... happen.

Whenever she thought about convincing him there was this little voice in her head that kept telling her not to. And the point was, the voice was right. This was only an iteration of 1864. The first time the Salvatore brothers met Katherine, she hadn't been there either. So he would be fine on his own.. Right?

With a sigh, Elena collapsed on her bed. All this thinking exhausted her. If only she could get some rest. Just a few minutes...

She hadn't realized that she had fallen asleep until the moment she felt the weight on her bed shift. Someone lay down next to her. Recognizing his scent, she blindly shifted closer to Damon, resting her head atop his firm chest. ''Hey..'' she murmured.

He wrapped his arms around her physique, pressing a soft kiss to the top of her head as he muttered in return, ''Hey you.. How are you?''

''I'm okay,'' Elena replied. ''Just tired, you know. You?''

A small smile tugged at the corners of Damon's mouth as he gave her a gentle squeeze. ''I'm great.''

Grinning mischievously, Elena moved to straddle his waist. Slipping a single digit beneath Damon's chin to slightly angle his head backwards, she allowed her lips to mold against his. Now that she was here anyway, she could better enjoy the time she had with Damon.

He returned the kiss tenderly, hands roaming down her sides and coming to rest on her hips.

Elena managed to draw his bottom lip between her teeth and tugged gently, causing him to release a quiet groan.

''Elena..'' he whispered.

A girlish giggle left her lips, and she raked her fingers through his unruly tresses, pressing her small frame flush against his as he moved up to rest with his back against the headboard.

''Yeah, Damon?'' She asked innocently and batted her eyelashes at him.

''I..'' he started, yet not able to finish his sentence, completely at a loss for words.

Grinning, Elena leaned down to claim yet another kiss.

''Oh my God.''

Elena pulled away abruptly and whirled around, nearly falling off the bed in the process hadn't it been for Damon who grabbed her arm to tug her back. Her heart was hammering wildly in her chest. She would recognize that voice anywhere. ''Bonnie.''

The brunette in front of her raised her eyebrows quizzically as Elena sat there, too stunned to move as she stared at her best friend. She felt Damon shift beneath her and he approached her.

''Who are you? Tell me who let you in.'' he demanded, brows creased.

Bonnie staggered backwards, shooting Elena a helpless glance as if to say 'some help here?'

Quickly, Elena began to move. She looped her fingers in the back of Damon's jeans to tug him back, shaking her head. ''She's a friend of mine, Damon.. Let me handle this.''

''But-'' he sputtered indignantly but instantly shut his mouth when he saw the look on Elena's face. ''Fine.'' he grumbled and pursed his lips, moving to lie back down on the bed.

Giving her eyes a brief roll, she ambled over to place a soft peck upon his lips whilst muttering, ''I won't take long.'' before twisting on her heels and heading out of the room, grasping the hem of Bonnie's sleeve to tug her along.

Elena closed the door behind them before swiveling her stance to face Bonnie, a sudden nervousness overtaking her. How was she going to explain what she just saw? ''Listen..'' she started, but Bonnie held up her hand.

''Spare me the details, please.''

Sighing in relief, Elena offered a grateful smile. ''So what are you doing here?''

''I'm here to bring you back.'' Bonnie simply stated, arms folding across her chest.

Elena remained silent for so long that Bonnie was starting to wonder if she'd heard her at all. She opened her mouth to speak, but Elena was faster.

''I heard you. It's just.. I was kind of getting used to this place.''

Bonnie cocked a dark brow, canting the weight of her head to one side. ''Are you kidding me? We've been worried sick.''

''I know, but..'' Elena stopped herself mid-sentence, brows knitting together. ''Wait, did you say we?''

Bonnie nodded once. ''Yeah, me and Damon? We had no idea what happened. It took us days to figure out what went wrong, weeks even to find out where exactly I'd sent you.''

A weird feeling made itself known in the pit of Elena's stomach and she shifted on the spot, slender arms wrapping around her small physique. So Damon did actually care about her? It appeared so.

''So.. What now?'' she murmured.

''Now I'm taking you back!'' Bonnie exclaimed with a small smile. ''You don't belong here, Elena. You know that. And you've been missed.''

Forcing a small smile, Elena bobbed her head in a single nod. ''Yeah, I guess.. Can I at least say goodbye to Damon?''

Bonnie's brows furrowed for a moment and she curled her lower lip between her teeth. ''I.. Don't think that that's such a good idea to be honest, Elena. It will be easier for him if we just leave right now.''

She said nothing for a moment before muttering reluctantly, ''Okay then..'' And she took Bonnie's hands into hers as she reached out for her.

''You still remember what to do?'' Bonnie asked and she nodded stiffly. ''Let's just get it over with.''

Elena closed her eyes, knowing her friend did the same and pictured her new, (well, technically still present) life as the foreign words spilled from Bonnie's lips.

"Puercapillosignisunitatisvid erevelimproferreduo vultus. Parentispuerquimanereinnomin atum,"

...

Damon had gotten tired of lying on the bed and impatiently began walking around the entire length of the room. He was dying to know what Elena and whoever that other girl was that she seemed to know were talking about

It wasn't until the strange language coming from outside the doors caught his attention, that he yanked the door open just as the other brunette yelled,

"Doceme quaerere quidagas. Dimitte me vivere rursus dirigitur!"

There was a bright flash, and Damon held up his hands to shield his eyes. After a few seconds or so, he removed his hands, glancing at the space before him.

It was empty.