6

It was, Niall thought, like being enclosed in a glass case. A place where he could see what was happening but take no part in it, and where his voice could not be heard.

Aware but isolated. But still able to think. To reason.

The queen of hearts...

At first he told himself that it must be a joke. That no one could possibly win another human being for a bet, however large.
Sooner or later, he thought painfully, this ghastly humiliation would come to an end, and he and his father would be allowed to leave, even if all they took with them was their freedom to do so. Because they were in worse trouble than they'd ever been in their lives, as Nicholas Johnson's tight lipped presence only confirmed.

We don't just owe the hotel, niall realised. There's also Mrs. Van Dyne, who may not be very happy when she finds out what a total mess we're in.

But I mustn't think like that. When we're out of here, we can work something out. Bobby will bounce back somehow, as he always does. I'm sure of it. I'll really ask Johnson to find me a job in the kitchens or as a chambermaid . something. Anything. And we'll survive. We always have before.

He forced himself to lift his chin, trying to appear unconcerned as he focussed once again on the events taking place in front of him. Trying also, to ignore a cold, sick feeling in the lit of his stomach as he saw Zayn reach for his cheque and quite deliberately tear it into small pieces, before placing the fragments in his ashtray and setting fire to them.

As Niall observed him summon Nicholas and issue low voiced instructions which he could not hear, but which, some instinct warned, concerned Bobby and himself. 

Behaving , he thought, in a way that suggests they're too embarrassed to acknowledge our continuing presence in the room.

And he began to realize, as fear stirred within him, that the outcome of the evening might not be as simple as he'd hoped to believe.

As Chuck passed him, he impulsively caught his sleeve. "Help me." His voice was a thread. "Help me - please."

"Nothing doing, honey." He detached himself firmly from Niall's clasp. "I'm a married man and I know what my wife would say if I turned up with a cute little number like you." He paused. 'Besides, if you can't stand the heat, you should've stayed out of the kitchen."

But I didn't choose to be in the kitchen, he thought as he watched Chuck leave with the others and turned to face his father, who was still sitting, slumped in defeat.

Do something, Niall cried out to him in silent desperation. Say something. Stop all this now. Because you can't let it happen to me. You can't ...

Niall saw Nicholas Johnson approach him, accompanied by one of the quiet men from the Malik entourage. Saw them help Bobby to his feet, making him walk between them to the door. Away from Niall. Abandoning him to the mercy of this stranger on the other side of the table. Which could well be no mercy at all.