7

His words seemed to echo and re-echo through the silence that followed. Niall stared at him, almost giddy with horror and disbelief, trying to tell himself that he didn't - he couldn't - mean what he was saying. But if Zayn was trying to frighten him then he'd succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

Niall said in a voice he didn't recognize,"Why are you doing this?"

"You have brought this upon yourself, my love." There was renewed harshness in his voice. "You have chosen to use your body to turn men into fools. You would have attempted to do the same to me earlier tonight, if I had allowed it. Do not bother to deny it," he said contemptuously as Niall's lips parted in shock. "Your guilt is known. But now things have changed for you, and it is your turn to be used. Used, then discarded."

"Whatever I did, I did for my - for Bobby," He managed to keep his voice steady. although his mind was whirling frantically. I was right, he thought. But how did he know so much? How?

"And he needs me," he went on. "So I - I can't leave Ireland. Can't leave him behind. And I - won't."

"Your loyalty is touching, but misplaced Niall love," he said coldly. "Is it possible you can still care about him, after what he has done?"

"I do more than care." Niall lifted his chin defiantly. "I love him, and I always will - whatever he does."

"Then I hope for your sake that the English saying is wrong - and that absence does not make the heart grow fonder." His tone was cynical. "Because you will never see him again."

Niall caught his breath. "What have you done to him?" he queried hoarsely. "Oh God, you haven't - hurt him?"

For a moment Zayn looked almost startled, then his mouth hardened. "I did not have to." he told him brusquely. "He has damaged himself quite enough. I think, and must live with the consequences."He paused. "I wonder too how much your loss will really matter to him when he has so many other problems pressing on him. After all, one boy toy is very much like the other."

He flinched for the callousness of the remark. "You think that he'll simply let me go? That he won't come to find me? You're wrong."

"But there would be no point." he said gently. "He will never again be able to afford you." Zayn paused. "If he ever could."

"Then at least let me see him to say goodbye.," He was pleading unashamedly now. For his father the initial shock would be wearing off now, and he knew he would be guiltily stricken and desperate. How he'd react if Niall simply vanished -of he had no idea where he'd been taken - didn't bear thinking about.

For a moment he was tempted to tell Zayn the truth. To say, he's not what you think - he's my father. Knowing what he'd condemned me to will be the end of him.

But something kept him silent. Because the evening's disasters had involved far more than just a card game, he thought. There was real animosity seething below the surface and until he discovered its cause, it might be better to keep quiet about his relationship to Bobby in case it simply added fuel to the flames, he decided, repressing a shiver.

"Your goodbyes were said, Niall, when he decided to bet against me." His words were inexorable. "And I think you will find me an adequate substitute for a man three times your age." His smile mocked the blonde. "Who know ? You may even discover that you enjoy sharing my bed."

Oh God, he was so sure of himself, Niall thought, his inner chill turning to fury. So arrogantly certain that any person would succumb eventually and welcome him as their lover. That he probably wouldn't even have to try...

"Never," he said, his voice shaking slightly. "Never in this world. Because you are totally vile. Vile and - disgusting. And I hate you. Just the thought of having you touch me makes me feel physically sick. So please don't wait to pass me on to the next man. Sell me now, because I'd rather be with anyone else on earth than with you."