Chapter 14

Chapter 14: Alex

I surprised myself when I put my gun away. I was so sure that I was going to kill him, and he barely knew why… he just thinks it’s because I don’t like my name. But it didn’t matter anymore. If I stayed much longer, he was going to die anyway. “Goodbye Leo” I turned away one last time, and left. He just watched me leave, and this time, I didn’t look back.

It wasn’t very long before I a monster found me. I took out my bow and my arrows on my back, and aimed it at the beast. I had no idea what it was, but it was terrifying. It reminded me of a cranky old lady who lived in the apartment below ours. She was old and wrinkled and sneered, but where the awful orange hand bag would exist, there was a whip. I shot arrow after arrow, but for some unknown reason, it wouldn’t die. I tried shooting my mortal weapon, but even that didn’t work, so it chased me through the woods instead. I hid behind one bush full of berries that would provide some temporary protection while I could catch my breath.

I stared at the berries. “These are the Mortialius Berries” I remembered my father saying. “It practically kills you for 12 hours. It even makes your heart stop beating. It is a very rare plant, and very useful if ever the need arises.” I looked up and screamed. The demon-lady was standing right over me.

“Alex?” It was Leo. I guess he had decided to find me after all. Gods he’s annoying. He just had to come after me didn’t he? Luckily the demon-lady didn’t hear him. She looked excited.

“Oh, don’t worry dearie, they don’t want you dead. Oh no, dead would be bad.” She smiled cruelly. “There are much worse things to come to you yet.” She laughed in such a high pitch voice, one of my ears started ringing. I took the chance to pick a few berries. It was one last desperate attempt, and going out on a complete limb, but it was all I had. She bore down and scratched me. I gave one last convincing shriek, and ate the berries. Everything went very fuzzy. “What? No, no, no! The boss will not like this, oh no…” I could feel the beating of her wings as she disappeared from the scene of my ‘death’.

Within the next few minutes, Leo had run over to me. My heart had stopped, my breathing had stopped, and I suppose I seemed very much dead. The last thing that I had floating around in my mind was Leo pleading whispers; “Oh, what have I done?”