||༺ five: how to save a life ༻||

༺ ༻

"Step one, you say we need to talk.
He walks, you say sit down, it's just a talk.
He smiles politely back at you.
You stare politely right on through.
Some sort of window to your right,
As he goes left, and you stay right,
Between the lines of fear and blame" 

- How to Save A Life by The Fray

༺ ༻

Jason's POV
(I will tell you when I change the POV, but at the moment it is just going to remain in Jason's POV.)

IT WAS ALL MY FAULT, that's what I thought exactly when I brought her into the hospital. I felt like everything was in slow motion.

I remember seeing Amara about to cross the street before I saw a black truck come out of nowhere and crush her. The scene was too graphic but it continued to plague and haunt my mind...

I wasn't aloud to go into the surgery room when the ambulance zoomed over here. It was literal pain. Waiting out here, not getting a chance to see if she was okay...

Six hours had passed. Six. Painful. Hours. I walked back and forth outside of the room before I heard the sound of high heels. I furrowed my brow before slowly looking up.

Amara's friends rushed down the room. I first noticed Lexi and Kate who were both wearing high heels, cocktail dresses, and heavy makeup. But the one who was coming straight towards me was Jack.

He stopped right in front of me and in a quick flash I felt the flaming pain of his punch. I winced and stumbled back a bit before I heard one of the girls shout.

"Jack! This is a hospital, not your boxing ring!"

I slowly looked up as I saw Lexi gently extending her hands to offer me a tissue. I weakly took it and straightened up just a bit, my head stinging and my nose flaring. I gently wiped the blood from my nose and the small cut as I sat down.

Jack was now the one who was pacing, Kate was trying to calm him down as I groaned.

"I can't believe this!" Jack yelled as he gripped his hair. "Damn you! Ugh-" he gripped his hair more before collapsing on a chair.

Kate started to whisper stuff in his ears as I felt Lexi take a seat next to me then she let out a long, noticeable sigh.

"I'm sorry-"

"No, it's - uh..." Her voice faded as she slumped in her chair just like me. "It's not your fault, it may seem like it but it's not. Seriously. You couldn't have know that car was going to be there at that time, that second, that location. Nobody could have know - well, except God, but let's get to the point." She gently turned a bit to look at the side of my face. "We are just really close friends - very close friends... It's like a family. It's hard to see this happening and he just needs someone to pin it on for a few days to blow some steam."

I nodded, I understood but deep down I felt like this... This was my fault, but my gut told me she was being completely honest.

"He's not that bad, he's just very close to Amara. A good person, just... Sensitive in some areas, and those areas involve the family and his reason why he boxes." She looked down and sighed.