Chapter 17: First Kiss

"You can let go now Emma," Michel said for the hundredth time but I held him tighter, my face buried into his back. I could still feel the rush of wind against my face and the blur of my surroundings.

"That was cruel Michel," and I could feel his whole body vibrate as he laughed. How dare he. My eyes narrowed and I loosened my arms from around his waist and shoved him straight of the horse onto the grass beside us. He looked up at me with a stunned expression on his face.

"You deserve that," I said with a smirk on my face. I took in the way his legs were sprawled out and how his mouth was slightly open before bursting out into laughter. My stomach started to hurt as tears rolled down my cheeks and I could hear that Michel had joined in as well.

"Real nice Emma," he choked out before standing up and dusting himself off. He then moved forward to grip my waist and set me down in front of him. His hold on my waist tightened slightly and all signs of laughter disappeared immediately. He leaned forward and the air between us was charged with electricity. His hand slowly slid up the length of my body before cupping my neck, his thumb idly rubbing against my cheek. He kept his eyes on mine the whole time. He gave a soft sigh before he leaned forward and pressed his soft lips to mine. I gasped slightly before lifting my arms and winding it around his neck, moving up into his hair. His kiss started sweet and gentle before his lips began to move faster against mine and with much more pressure. His right hand knotted in my hair while his left pulled me impossibly close by my waist. After what seemed like seconds, we pulled apart, our breaths ragged and uneven as we stared at each other with slightly unfocused eyes. Behind him, the sun was beginning to set, the fading light making him look even more handsome. Keeping one arm around my waist, he turned around to look at the sunset as well before his eyes widened in alarm.

"What's wrong?"

"The ball Emma," he said before mounting his horse, pulling me up behind him.

"How much time do we have?"

"Not much," he said and my grip tightened around his waist as he forced the horse to go even faster than when we had come.