Chapter 28: A Second Chance

"What do you want," Michel asked and his father stopped and turned around to face his son. Lisa must have seen Michel's father because she had sent everyone home. She and Jack were talking amongst themselves a little bit away from us and Jack looked ready to interfere at the first sign of conflict.

"I want to apologize. I'm sorry Michel; I was drunk that night and very angry. I was so angry. I'd spent all the money in my pocket on beer and I had none left, I was completely broke and it scared me. I was desperate and afraid when I saw you and I thought I could get some money, just enough for another day," he said now looking at me. His eyes were filled with tears and reflected the desperation that I'd seen in my own eyes when I went after my mother. Deep down, some part of me understood but I still couldn't forget that moment of terror when his hand had clamped over my mouth and the utter helplessness I'd felt in his arms.

"I'm so sorry for what I've done to both of you. I'm not asking you to come live with me Michel, or any more of your money. I just want your forgiveness and at the very least, your understanding. I want to start this over again, so I'm begging you, please, please give me another chance," he begged and his eyes were filled with tears. In that moment, I didn't see him as the man who had held me up in his arms that night, but as the man who had lost his wife and was now desperate not to lose his son as well. His eyes were filled with raw emotion and I could see Michel slowly beginning to crack as he looked at his father who had now been reduced to a broken penniless man with absolutely no one to turn to.

"Please son," he said and my heart twisted with sympathy as the man before me crumpled to his knees, his hands clasped together in front of him, truly begging for forgiveness.

"I'll give you one more chance, just one but if you mess it up, don't ever come back to me again," said Michel in a shaky voice before turning away, pulling me behind him to where Lisa and Jack were waiting for us with wide eyes.

"What happened?" whispered Jack in my ear as Lisa walked ahead with Michel, wrapping her arm around his shoulder. I recounted the whole tale and Jack's eyes widened at first but he then nodded in understanding.

"I'm glad he forgave him," said Jack and I nodded; knowing he was wasn't making any mistake by doing so. The pain and desperation in that man's eyes had been almost tangible and very, very honest.

As soon as we got home, the whole family had a quick dinner before retreating to their respective bedrooms. Michel had gone up early, saying he needed to think things through before waving a farewell to everyone and disappearing. At the moment, Jack sat beside me and the 2 of us were lost in thought.

"Jack?" He turned to me, snapping out of whatever he'd been thinking of before.

"What happened to your father," I asked in a soft voice and regretted it when I saw his face fall. He then looked up to me and recounted his story.