CHAPPIE THREE

CHAPPIE THREE
I. WORRIES .I

8:05 a

8:05 a.m.

"HEY. Can you pick up Scout, for me?" Melissa McCall left the voicemail for Scott. "Thanks, honey. Love you so much, bye."

Melissa sighed and turned to look at Scout when stopping at the red light, who played with one of her Spider-Man action figures. The mother tore her eyes away and turned to pull up at the elementary school's entrance.

Scout looked up and started to unbuckle her booster seat before packing up her toys, ready to leave. Melissa stopped the car by the entrance, "Scout, honey, your brother, and/or possibly Stiles, will pick you up when school ends."

Scout nodded but didn't close the door yet. "Mommy?" Melissa nodded in a rush, knowing she was holding up the line of cars behind her. "I love you and when will you come home?"

"As soon as I can! I have to go, honey." Scout nodded and shut the door for her adopted mother to drive away. The little girl sighed before trudging towards the dreadful doors of Hell.

___________

3:28 p.m.

It was about twenty minutes after school had ended. Scout sat on the bench in front of the school, next to Ms. Therell, and played with action figures. The teacher looked down at Scout, "Do you want me to call your guardian?"

Scout furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. Guardian? "You mean my mommy?" Scout asked, mostly to get a reaction. Ms. Therell nodded with a slight grimace on her face.

Fortunately, an annoying, skinny teenage boy came just in time. Well, not really on time, only about twenty-three minutes late.

The Jeep, one of the only cars in the parking lot, stopped in front of them and rolled down a window. Scout, with her Spider-Man toy in hand, and Ms. Therell walked toward the car. "Hi, are you here to pick up Scout?" The adult asked him.

"Yeah, sorry about the time. Some things came up and I was the only one with a car, so I came and-" Stiles apologized with one hand one the wheel and his other hand moving as he rambled.

Ms. Therell held up her hand to stop him from saying anymore. "It's okay, I understand."

Scout turned back to the bench to put her Captain America and Spider-Woman action figures into the backpack. Her steps bounced as she walked toward the Jeep, wanting to get away from the teacher completely. Scout gripped the handle of the door to the backseat, it creaked and sounded like an old man's groan as she stepped in.