Lunch

I fell asleep with my journal still open on my lap. When a knock sounded on my door I was startled awake and felt the cramp in my neck. Giving a small 'come in' I closed my journal and rubbed the back of my neck gently to try to relieve the pain. As I look up I pause in my movements.

"Breakfast is ready if you want it." Tyler says with a grunt. Something tells me his parents made him come wake me up. I give a nod and a small thank you then he leaves. Only then did I realize I wasn't really breathing. My body takes in oxygen once more and I run my hands through my hair.

Carefully, I unfold my legs and start down the stairs to the dining room. Richard is dressed in a tux so I immediately feel out of place. Andrea is wearing a summery dress and Tyler is wearing dark jeans and a white shirt that compliments his tan skin. Instead of bringing attention to my pajamas I simply sit at the open plate beside Tyler and thank them for offering me a plate.

As I nibble on my food I notice Tyler staring at me. I don't look at him but instead continue eating, trying to keep up the conversation Andrea is having with me. Richard excuses himself and I hear his car leave soon after. Tyler continues making me feel uncomfortable and I eventually turn to look at him which does nothing to his determination in making me squirm.

"Victoria is coming over today with her brother. I'm going to go on a ride with her and I ask that you spend time with her brother." Tyler says lowly to me. Andrea sighs.

"Tyler you can't just ask her-"

"Mom, you told me to build my relationship with her. I'm trying to help her get friends with people I hang out with."

"No you're trying to get away with spending time with Victoria." Andrea says hotly. "We all know what you're doing at this table." She waits for him to argue.

"Will you stay with him for the day?" Tyler asks me. I give a nod but don't look at him. He stands. "They'll be here in an hour." Tyler leaves and Andrea stabs her eggs with her fork.

"If you feel uncomfortable at any point in time with him or anyone else here, I want you to tell me." Andrea says to me. I smile.

"I will, thank you." She sees through my forced smile but nods and I excuse myself, leaving my half eaten plate at the table.

I put on shorts and a flattering tank top. My face is still disfigured with color so I apply a thin layer of foundation in order to get rid of some of the hideous coloring. I look over my reflection.

My dark brown hair reached to my mid back and was straight. I had smooth, tan skin, with a couple of bruises on my arm but not as horrible as it was on my stomach. I had hazel eyes that had long since lost their true sparkle. My body was fit, but I wasn't skinny. Shaking my head I turn from my reflection reminding myself beauty can come in many different forms.

When I came back down the stairs there were people bustling about, fixing things, cleaning rapidly. I did not like the idea of servants but with a huge house such as this, it was understandable. I looked at Tyler who was sitting comfortably on the couch, watching people bustle about. My jaw clenched and I turned to go back upstairs but he had seen me.

"Jasmine." He says lowly. I turn to face him, seeing him grin. "Come here, sit next to me." He indicates to the spot on his left. I feel my stomach twist again but I swallow my fear and sit next to him, a tad further than where he'd patted. He noticed.

"Victoria's brothers name is Jake." Tyler says, looking at someone rush past him. "He's tall, but him and Victoria could be twins. Jake likes to crack jokes, he doesn't take many things seriously so I'm hoping he'll break you out of your shell a little bit." Tyler looks at me but I can't bring myself to look at him.