Chapter 8

Lloyd woke with a start, his nightmare replaying itself over and over again in his head. He looked around. He was back in his bed. He briefly recalled how similar this was to when he first woke up on the Bounty after his rescue.

He swung his feet over the side of the bed and stood. Using the wall to support himself, he made his way to the door. As soon as he opened it, he was bombarded by Kai.

"Lloyd, you're awake!" The Fire Ninja had been standing outside the door. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay?"

"Um, yeah. I think so." The Green Ninja placed a hand on his temple, leaning against the doorframe as support. "But, um...Why are you apologizing?"

If it was possible, Kai's worried expression became even more worried. "You mean you don't remember?"

Lloyd shook his head. "Nope. I remember sparring with you and then...it's just blank. Why, did something happen?"

Kai glanced behind him before replying. "Well, when we were sparring, I accidentally brushed...you know. Your scars. And you went into fit. You were writhing around on deck. Your father looked about ready to kill me. But nothing was physically wrong. it's like you relapsed or something. It was terrifying."

Lloyd took a step back froom the Fire Ninja. "I-I'm sorry. I di-didn't m-mean to–"

Kai cut him off. "It's not, your fault, Lloyd. If anything, it's mine. I should've been more careful. Stop apologizing."

"But–"

"Stop. Maybe we should easy up on your training. I don't want to hurt you again. From now on–"

"No." It was Lloyd's turn to interupt. "I'm not made of glass, Kai. I'm not gonna break if you push too hard. I'm perfectly able to go on as normal."

"Today was proof that you're not, though!" The Red Ninja raised his voice, but that only made the Green Ninja angrier. He couldn't ignore this any longer. If he had to prove himself to them, so be it.

"I said no! This is my decision! I understand you want to protect me, but I don't need it!" He grabbed the edge of the door. "Go away, Kai. Tell everyone that I'm awake and just fine."

He slammed the door in Kai's face.

He began to pace the shared bedroom. His 'converstaion' with Kai had left him enraged. He needed to vent ourt his anger somehow, or he'd explode on the next person he saw.

Standing still in the dead center of the room, he concentrated, and almost instantly an orb of green energy appeared. He made it bigger, leting his rage flow into the power. He was angry at the Ninja, for treating him like he was broken. He was angry at his father, for not being there all those years. He was angry at his mother, who he's never even met, for adandoning him. Most of all, he was angry at Scales, for what the snake did to him. Thanks to him, he was broken. He was a disaster. But he didn't want the pity that went with it.

Lloyd didn't even notice how big the sphere had gotten. It filled the entire room. Green light was shining through the windows, through every crack in the wood. Everyone above was bound to notice. He just hoped they wouldn't come down.

"Lloyd? Are you alright in there?" His stomach dropped at his father's voice, but it was too late. He released the sphere, shouting as his energy drained away, and everything went black.