Chapter 9

The Overlord was getting restless. The Final Battle was supposed to have happened by now. His impatience was growing.

'The Serpentine have caused more problems than they've solved. Why did that old fool ever create them? We would never have had this problem if he hadn't.'

He thought back to the first battle, the battle between him and the First Spinjitzu Master, as he was called. The Overlord had been winning, victory was in his grasp, but the old man was a coward. He split Ninjago down the middle, separating the land he'd infected from the pure side. Then he locked him away, stopping the battle and delaying its end.

And now it was being pushed back further. The Overlord was never meant to win, he knew that, but that didn't mean he wouldn't give it his best shot. The future was always in flux, a fact he'd learned the hard way recently.

An explosion echoed through the abyss, powerful enough to shake the shadowy being. He searched Ninjago, looking for the source, annoyance twisting his thoughts.

'Ah. Of course. His power is linked to my prison. No wonder I felt it.' He played back the explosion, watching as the Green Ninja released the massive energy he'd collected.

'He should be more careful.' The Overlord wasn't worried about the boy himself. He just couldn't stand much more waiting if the Green Ninja got himself killed by overuse of his own power before the Overlord was freed.

He shifted in the abyss, the image fading from his mind. He was so frustrated with this war between him and Ninjago. Naturally, the First Spinjitzu Master filled his mind, enraging him further. Suddenly, the Anacondrai creed popped into his head once more, and a large, twisted grin, contorted the Overlord's face.

Only one can remain.

And it will be him.

6