chapter 2

Tony may have been a genius, but when it came to his daughter, all his smarts melted out of his head and he relied on his baser instincts for his parenting. And right now, they were telling him that the charming professor was holding something back. Something crucial.

After he watched his daughter and the Teach do their Vulcan Mind-Meld thing, the family discussed what the professor had found. As they talked about Darcy's obvious telekinesis and ways to help her harness her powers, there was something about the older Mutant's expression that was setting off klaxon's in Tony's head.

The duo had spent a grueling ten minutes in silence as they did their mind-share thing, but when Xavier had opened his eyes again, his face was full of a multitude of expressions that flickered almost too fast for Tony to catch. There was awe, pride, concern, and fear.

What did the professor see?

The man in question had mentally called out to Logan to come to the office so that he could escort Tony's family to their rooms, but gave Tony a look that commanded him to stay after the rest of his party had walked out.

To create a distraction, Tony began rambling aloud about how he just needed to talk to the Professor, genius to genius, and compare their genius mansions. He wasn't entirely sure what other bullshit he spouted as his family left, rolling their eyes good-naturedly, as he was too distracted by the weight of Xavier's gaze and his own shaking hands.

The heavy wooden doors thunked close with a finality that Tony desperately tried not to compare to a death knell.

"Sit, Mr. Stark."

"I think if you're diving into my kid's head and having me here alone for a heart-to-heart, you can probably cut the Mr. Stark crap and call me Tony." He sighed as he fell back into the leather armchair with a heavythunk. "Before you get lost in all this powers mumbo-jumbo, just tell me if my baby girl is safe. From herself, from whatever. Please."

"I assure you, Tony, that Miss Darcy is quite safe. Between you and your friends, JARVIS," at this he nodded to the security camera mounted on the wall. Tony had to smirk, the AI was about as trustworthy as he was at times. Smiling at Tony's expression, the professor continued.

"Your family is more than capable of protecting her, and she is in no danger from harming herself or others with her powers unless she was to desire to, much like any other gifted individual." Tony nodded when the professor paused, a gesture for him to continue telling him about his daughter.

"When I fell into your daughter's mind, I was in awe. I have not seen a mind like hers ever before, Tony. Young Miss Darcy is special, this we knew, but I don't think any of us were prepared for just how special she truly is.

"Looking into her mind was like looking into an supercomputer. Faster than I can even comprehend, Miss Darcy's mind is pulling information, data, from her surroundings and assimilating it into terms her young mind can comprehend. For lack of a better term, Miss Darcy is gifted with super intelligence. Without this mutation, she certainly would be gifted with genius, much like you and your father, but the mutation has taken what was laid as foundation and amplified it to a level I am not sure we will ever fully understand.

"I chose the simile of a supercomputer for a reason, as well. Her baseline genius that she inherits from you makes her predisposed to have an affinity for technology, granting her levels of expertise that should be impossible for her to achieve at her age. Her mutation and natural abilities with technology have created a network that connects her mind to the technology around her. It's called technokinesis. When I was in her mind I was able to see these other...connections? Some were stronger than others, and these connections that branched from her mind to elsewhere. I believe that the stronger branches lead to the robots in your home, as well as JARVIS."