Chapter 1: Do You Know Me?

Riley

There were a thousand things I didn't know. A million even. More than a million. In fact, I practically knew nothing. But amongst those millions of things that I was in the dark about, there was one single, solitary fact that I was absolutely certain of that rose above the rest and made it's way into the light. I knew him. I knew him down to his very core. And I was so in love with him. And the inconceivable truth about it was that he had no idea who I was. Not in the way that counted. Or at least that was what I had thought before... Well, just. Before.

1 Year Ago

He was leaning against his locker again. He did that a lot. There was something so poetic about the way he did it that drove me crazy. He ran his fingers through his hair and laughed at something his friend- the funny one, not the arrogant lacrosse player with the boyband haircut- was saying. He did that a lot too, which drove me borderline insane. I wondered then, if he ever noticed that I was always staring at him in a way that let him in on the secret that I knew he leaned against lockers like it was his job to hold them up. I mean, I wasn't subtle about it. I figured, what was the point of hiding the way I looked at him. It wasn't like it mattered. He saw me the way we wanted to see me. Why couldn't I see him the way I wanted to see him?

"Riley, are you listening?"

I wasn't. I was never listening, not when Lucas Friar was leaning against his locker like that. God.

"Sorry, what were you saying?"

"The writing contest, the one that's coming up in a month? The one that gets you into the writing program at NYU? Have you figured out what you're going to submit?" Farkle asked, picking at the poem I had taped on the inside of my locker. It was a love poem, but not one of those cheesy ones they put on Valentine's Day cards. It was obscure, real, honest and it described the way I felt about Lucas perfectly.

"Um. No, I haven't really thought about it yet," I muttered distractedly. Lucas wasn't leaning anymore, but in some ways, what he was doing now was so much worse. He was walking towards us.

"Riley, you really should have some idea of what you're going to turn in by now. I'm already editing the second draft of my short story about what it's like to lose your identity to the pressures of conformity and capitalism."

"That's because you're a genius Farkle. And because you have no life," I joked, raising my eyebrows at him and smiling slightly.

Lucas was coming up behind me. I knew before I even turned around. Before he even spoke. Be cool, Riley.

"Hey, Riley. Are we still on for my tutoring session in the library this afternoon?" Lucas asked. Yes, yes, yes! Always. I will tutor you until the end of time if you asked.

"Yeah, just be sure to bring your last English exam. And your copy of The Great Gatsby." I tried really hard not to roll my eyes. I hated the Great Gatsby. I hated the characters, I hated the story, and I hated that I had to convince teenagers who could care less about reading to read a book that I wish I hadn't even read.

"Okay. I'll see you after school. Don't forget I have-"

"Lacrosse practice at 4:45. I got it. We'll be done by then. That is, if you did the reading like I asked you to," I teased him. Let's be honest, I was flirting. And I wasn't even trying to hide it.

Lucas smiled and his nose crinkled the slightest bit. Lord help me.

"I definitely read it. Thanks Riley." My heart raced at the sound of him saying my name.