Explosions Aren't Dangerous

Chapter 13: Explosions Aren't Dangerous

Riley

I was listening to one of those songs - you know, the ones you listen to late at night when the world has stopped moving. When there is silence all around you, except for that one song playing soft and melodic in the background. The ones that make you think of infinite universes and destinies and things way beyond your years. The ones that help fill the void in your heart that has been missing for years or months or even minutes. I was sitting at the bay window, listening to that song, and wondering how I could have been such a fool when I heard a tap on my window.

"Ow," Maya muttered as she crawled through the window and plopped next to me on the bench. "It is a lot harder to crawl through that thing than you might think."

"I bet," I smiled sadly, and averted my gaze back to the street outside my window. "I thought you went home?"

"Well, I was headed there until I realized how strange you were acting after we left the party," Maya glanced over at the record player on my dresser and headed over to investigate. "Oh no. You only listen to Daughter when you're sad. This is your sad music. Riley, tell me what's been going on."

"It's not sad, it's melancholy and slow and beautiful, which is what I need right now," I explained, pulling my knees up to my chin and resting my head, feeling extremely tired.

"And why is that?" Maya raised her eyebrows expectantly, ready for me to tell her what had been going on these past few weeks.

"It's a long story," I warned her, hoping that would lessen her interest in hearing what I had to say.

"Then you're in luck, because I am not the slightest bit tired. It's the weekend. And I'm spending the night. Now, tell me what's been happening with Lucas Friar and that hot prep school guy who totally has a thing for you," Maya kicked off her shoes, and hopped onto my bed, settling in comfortably to hear my long explanation.

"First of all, Jensen Haynes does not have a thing for me. I'm just his tutor," I explained, walking over to my bed to sit in front of Maya.

"Wait, Haynes? As in Merritt Haynes?" Maya furrowed her brows in confusion and turned her body to face mine.

"Yep, he's her brother."

"Oh no, Riley. You cannot tutor Merritt Haynes' brother!" Maya exclaimed, throwing her arms in the air for emphasis.

"Why not?"

"Because that whole family is insane. They're all creepily good at covering up the truth. My mom worked at this agency a while back, one that Mr. Haynes' owned, and she said that there were a lot of shady things happening there that he was a part of that would just mysteriously be forgotten about the next day and no one ever mentioned them again," Maya released her long blonde hair from the bun she had it in and it fell onto her shoulders in waves.

"Maya, that doesn't mean Jensen is like his father. If we were all like our parents the world would be a scary place," I pointed out.

"Says the girl with the two most perfect parents in the entire world," Maya gave me a knowing look and I lightly kicked her leg.

"That's not the point. The point is that... Underneath all the parties and the secrets and the bad reputation, I think that Jensen Haynes is a good guy," I declared, trying to convince her that the perception she had of him was not a valid one.

Or maybe I was just trying to convince myself.

"Whatever you say," Maya muttered skeptically. "And Lucas? What were you two talking about before the fight to end all fights? I saw the way he was looking at you. That look was not platonic. Spill."