Full Circle

"I broke rules for you, isnt that enough"

__________

The moment Chard saw Dei from across the room in the most famous art gallery in Europe, cladded in diamonds while a red gown hugged her curves – his world stopped turning. He wasn't the type of person who believed in soul mates or love at first sight- lust maybe, never love- but when he saw her, he kissed his morals and principles goodbye. He could see her clearer and clearer as he took a step further from reality and closer to his wildest dream. She glowed under the fluorescent lights of the gallery, shining brighter than the diamonds she wore, or any shooting star that was painted on the art piece behind her.

"Hi," the flustered boy finally greeted once she was in hearing distance.

She didn't look up. In fact, the woman turned around, walking away from the glass case and onto the next.

Chard was stunned. Had she not heard him? Or was she purposely avoiding him? He didn't spot at ring on her finger, and he only wanted to talk to her (for now, at least) so what was the matter?

Chard took a deep breathe, straightened his suit and tie, and cleared his throat. Once he finished fixing his hair through the reflection of the window, he walked towards the girl.

"That's a gem, right there. Both literally and figuratively," He spoke with a louder voice.

This time, the girl looked up – eyebrow quirked and her dark stained lips pursed.

"Pardon?" she asked, voice stiff and demanding.

"The crown. It costs $39 million d-"

"Yes, I'm aware," she interrupted, causing his cheeks to turn into a bright crimson. He cleared his throat once again, and nodded.

"I see. Sorry for bothering you," Chard cowered. He turned on his heels and was about to leave when she spoke once more.

"But it's priceless, really. It has exactly 444 pr-"

"Precious gems- yes I'm aware," he countered, smirking. "Chard,"

"Dei," she smiled, taking his hand in hers and giving it a delicate, but firm shake.

"Nice to meet you, Dei. So, what brings you here?"

The two talked endlessly through the night. Chard – short for Richard, she had learned – told her all about his childhood. He told her how lonely it was being an only child, and how jealous he was of her for having three older siblings and a younger brother. He told her how he fell from the top of the stairs at the age of three and nearly broke his skull. He told her about his ambitions as a young child and how they've changed so much through time — but he still wishes to be Iron Man once in a while. He told her how his whole life was laid out for him, and how his parents didn't give him much of a choice

"They told me from a young age, every time I told them I wanted to be one profession, that I should stop dreaming about it because I was meant to take over the company"

He told her how, as much as he knew he shouldn't be complaining because his life was undeniably perfect, he still wished he got to make his own decisions. He wished he had more guts.

And she told him how, even though she had a lot of family members, she never really had a family. She told him about her parents; her god awful parents who never made time for their kids, but made time to make more kids. She told him that she wished her parents laid out her life for her, because then maybe she wouldn't have been so lost. And she told him how she found thrill in her life, but maybe it's not the kind he wanted to live. Because she steals; not physical things, necessarily (although she religiously looked up to Bonnie and Clyde), but people's hearts. She didn't tell him this, though. But perhaps, that wouldn't have been the best decision in the long run.