Chapter 33: Finding Someone

I could feel the warm shine from the sun. I opened my eyes and blinked, finding myself half lying on the hospital bed and the other half on a chair. I glanced up and looked at the clear windows where the light was shining through the gentle curtains. I gazed over my surrounds and lifted my hand, to stretch my arms.  But feeling a little weight, I glanced back at my hand and stared at it.

I couldn’t believe it. How did my hand get there? My eyes started to widened, as I observe how my hand got hold of Dean’s hand. My hand was literally crossing fingers with his hand. We were holding hands as we were sleeping. How did that happen? I thought to myself, trying to remember if I was sleep-holding hands with him.

I sighed and shook my head, trying to leave all the questions to one side. I glanced at him again, still seeing him sleep unconsciously. I started to worry if he would be alright.  Since it has been a day already and he should wake up by now, just like what the doctor had said. I lowered my eyes and gently took my hand out of his. Slowly and quietly, I managed to take my hand out.

I leaned over him and pulled the covers up higher, just to keep him warmer. And as I was about to turn and head for the door, to find something to eat, I felt my hand pulled back.

I stopped and glanced back at my hand. And saw his hand holding on to mine. I gasped.

“Don’t go.” He whispered.

I turned to his direction and stared at him. “Dean? Are you alright?”

Slowly I could see his eyes blink and gradually they were opened. He moved his head to me and smiled, gazing at me for a few moments. And after that he smiled again.

I looked at his pale skin and lowered my eyes. But been able to see his bright ocean blue eyes again, I smiled back. “How are you feeling?” I said quietly.

He looked at me and laughed softly. “Look at you.” He said, “You’re worried about me already.”

I stared at him.

He laughed and then smiled, but before he got to say something again, he coughed.

“Are you alright?”

Dean’s eyes looked at me again, “Yeah.” He said, trying to keep his cough down, “I’m fine.”

I smiled. “Okay then.” I said, “I’ll find something for you to eat.” I ended my sentence and started to head for the door again.

But I was stopped.

I paused as I felt my hand pulled back again. But this time it wasn’t a gentle pull. This time he pulled me back until I was laying my head on the covers. My eyes widened.

The next reaction that I did was to try to get up again. But he had already managed to place his other arm over me and hold me down to his chest. I sighed and glanced at him, “What now?”

He smiled as I felt his arms tightened. “Could you stay like this for a few moments?”

“No.” I said. But he didn’t let go.

I stared at him and tried to wriggle out of his arms, but he pulled them tighter.

And just when I was about to say something to him, Dean closed his eyes and rested them for a bit, “Just stay like this for five minutes.” He paused, “Just for me?”

I gazed at him and relaxed my shoulders. Lying there on the sheets and placing my ear to his chest. I could hear his steady heartbeat. I glanced up at the ceiling to ignore what I was hearing. But for some reason, I felt different. His chest was warm and gradually every heartbeat I heard, made my heart skipped a beat.