P R O L O G U E

Tucking the gun inside the holster for the final time, I made my way to the police station with my partner and prepared to file the proper paperwork for the now closed case. Sure, it wasn't the case that I've spent x amount of years working on, but it felt good to have solved the mystery and bring justice to those responsible for the grievance. This wasn't my first missing persons duty, but it would be my last. My partner looked at me from the corner of his brown eye, smiling softly. His name was Akira and he was two years younger than I. To this day, I can still remember his almost feminine build and his square jaw, that elfish nose of his, and of course his diamond shaped eyes. I loved him like a younger brother, which made it harder for me to leave. Still, I would be turning in my badge after this assignment went through the system.

"Where are you two going again?" Akira asked as he pulled up into the station's parking lot.

"Kyoto," I smiled.

He nodded, his cap covering his eyes. It always made me giggle when he was on duty because of how that hat fit over his hair. Akira wore it in what almost looked like an afro, but nowhere near as curly or fluffed out. His hair was the same colour as his eyes, a sharp contrast to his ivory skin. We were the palest people on the police force, it was probably why our commanding officer put us together as a team.

"Send me a post card from the honeymoon?" he looked at me, wearing a sad smile.

"I'm only moving to a different city, Akira-san! It's not like I'm going all the way to America," I tugged off his hat and ruffled his hair.

We've been friends since I joined at the age of seventeen. Right now, I'm twenty-three and I am leaving this boisterous life behind me to pursue the life of my dreams. My boyfriend just proposed to me and I accepted, so we're we were going to start a family and this city isn't the best of places to do so. I had friends in Kyoto that owned a vets' office and they needed surgeons. It was going to be my childhood dream come true. Sure, I loved being a cop and all... But, I adored animals and my parents were both in the medical profession when I was little. Working on the police force put me through the proper schooling and I graduated last year.

"Just remember that I'm always here for you if you need me. It's still not too late to choose me, ya know?" Akira winked.

I patted my belly with a soft smile, "Actually, it is."

Akira's eyes widened and he rested his palm against the slight bulge.

"I thought that it was from stress eating," he admitted.

"I'm sure that part of this is from all the food that I've been inhaling, but most of it is probably from the little guy growing inside of me," I sighed, patted his hand that still laid on my bump.

And then the police station blew up.