Chapter Two

"Orihara-San... Why the fuck are you wearing a crown?" I feel my entire face twitch.

"I'm king of the world today," he proudly proclaims, reclining at ease in his giant chair.

"Whatever you fucking weirdo, what's on the agenda for today?" I have my hands on my hips, an irritated scowl on my face, and the outfit from yesterday.

"You're my assistant, so you tell me," he chuckles, now playing with his beloved knife.

"Your now-former assistant didn't say anything to me when she left this morning, idiot. All that she did was throw me a glare and advice that I break all of your toes."

"Yagari-chan wouldn't say something like that," Izaya sits up in his chair, his arms now resting atop his cluttered desk.

"I might've add-libbed," I shrug.

"Here's my schedule for today," he chucks a clipboard my way.

With a sigh, I catch it and look it over a few times in confusion.

The only word written on this thing is my name?

"Um... All that this says is-?! GO FUCK YOURSELF!" I throw it back at him.

"Kamiya-San, that was just a joke. Here's my real schedule," he calmly hands me a different clipboard, setting the other one down on a huge pile of papers.

Pissed off, my eyes dart to the parchment on the thin piece of wood and I read it as carefully as I can. If I don't do well, he'll fire me. If he fires me, my revenge is out of the question and I'm also jobless. If I do well, I can move on with what's left of my shattered life. Rereading his agenda, I bite my lip and tuck my hair behind my ear so that it doesn't fall in front of my eyes and impair my vision in even the slightest.

"What time is it?" Izaya asks sharply.

"Oh, um, it's ten in the morning."

"Don't I have something to do at eleven?" he resumes his knife play.

Glancing down again, I attempt to memorise the list of events and appointments.

"There's a meeting with a Higurashi Uta at eleven thirty. He'll be arriving at least half an hour late."

"How do-"

"When I was a police officer, we had him come in for questioning several times. He always came in late, or just didn't show. While we have time to spare, I suggest that you eat something because he'll draw this out for as long as possible and you'll miss lunch if you wait for the meeting to end on time. During the chat between the two of you, I'd keep that knife out of sight. He spooks easily," I inform him, feeling smug.

"I already knew all of that," his smirk makes me want to cut out his eyeballs.

"Then fucking eat something," I frown instead.

"Run down to the bakery that we met at yesterday and grab us both something. I want you to sit in and watch the meeting at noon," he nods.

That sounds incredibly boring and I'm pretty sure that it would make me an accomplice of some sort of crime...

"I don't have any money," I clench my fists.

"That's what banks are for, Kamiya-San. Just remember that before something else with all of your money in it explodes," he hands me some money.

My eyes widen when I realise how much.

"10420 yen!?"

"Stop talking and just go," he sighs, rubbing his temples.

"Dude, this is way too much!"

"Then buy a dog or something and just go!"

"I could probably like three with this much! Besides, how do I know that you obtained this legally?"

"Kamiya-San, it sounds like you don't trust me."

"Well, then you're hearing correctly. Orihara-San, you're a criminal and I can't-"

"You came to me looking for revenge and you're blowing a fuse about how I get money? I'm an information broker, not a bank robber."

"Whatever. What do you want from the bakery?" I cross my arms and roll my eyes.

With a sly grin, Izaya leans over the desk and gives me a rather suggestive look.

"Something sweet," he licks his lower lip.

How about a knuckle sandwich?!

Grumbling, I storm out of his office and march down the block. If the hospital bills hadn't bankrupted me and made me sell it, I'd be driving my car- and quite angrily. However, I make do with stomping around in a pencil skirt and heels. It's only when I round the corner three blocks away from Izaya's office building that I settle down enough to notice all of the unwanted stares that my attire is affording to me. Unable to do anything more, I grab the hem of my tight skirt and pull on it a little. Some of my blouse gets untucked, but less of my thighs is visible and that's really all that matters.

Gulping, I approach the bakery and eye up the menu that they have on the wall through the window. Of course, that's when the sun peaks through the clouds and makes a glare on the glass. Now forced to enter the building, I tug down on my skirt again and timidly walk towards the register. Quickly requesting some doughnuts and cupcakes, I wait for him to bag the baked goods and hand me the order before giving him a handful of paper money. Telling him to keep the change, I dart of there and book it. Well, I actually don't. Instead, I walk into somebody and land on my arse.

"I'M SO SOR- uh? Is that you, Kamiya-kōhai?"

Startled, I look up to see Akira's older brother.

"What are you doing in this neck of the woods?" he helps me stand.

"Running an errand for my new boss."

"Oh, you're an assistant now?"

"Yes," I bend over to pick up the bag, not caring if the food is smashed or not.

"To whom?" Taro scratches his eyebrow.

"Some rich idiot," I answer honestly.

"Please don't tell me that your money troubles are-"

"I'm an assistant, not a geisha!"

He gives me the surrender motions, sheepishly smiling.

"My apologies," he pats my head.

"I'm going to be late. It was nice seeing you again, Taro-senpai!" I run away from him.

When I return to the office, Izaya is playing with his knife and whistling. Ignoring him completely, I toss the bag in a random direction and do the same with the yen. It may or may not have smacked him in his face.

"I'm going home now," I tell the air around me.

Before he can remind me that I don't have one, I make a run for it.