o n e

the empty, cobbled street is dimly lit by streetlamps that stand proud along cracked pavements. shadows dance in the moonlight, creating illusions that spook the 11 year old who is walking with his gaze cast down. his arms are wrapped tightly around his torso as freezing gusts of wind assault him, chilling him down to the bone. all he has on is a simple thin t-shirt and a pair of shorts. 

he doesn't know where he is heading to, and he doesn't care either.

no one in the right mind would be out in this weather. for that, the boy is glad. as he walks on, however, a gasp pierces through the deafening silence. looking up, he spots a girl of his age and her mother looking at him. pity fills her hazel eyes as she stares at him like he's a wounded animal.

pity. he hates that word.

just as he turns on his heel to walk in a different direction, a voice shouts for him to stop. footsteps thudded and he whips around to have a coat thrown on his trembling figure. this close, the vanilla scent from the girl wafts over to him, and he cannot help but stare at her beauty. the breeze gently lifts her soft, golden brown hair that barely hangs past her shoulders. eyes that stare back at his with overwhelming curiosity and concern. visible clouds of air hung between them as they breathed.

he breaks the eye contact first. before she can speak up, he turns his back on her and runs away, careful not to let her see his hands.

his quivering hands that were coated with dried blood.