three

Arden had only unpacked about fifty per cent of the boxes in her room before she grew bored. She found herself sat on her balcony, looking down at the somewhat peaceful neighbourhood. She was surprised that the neighbours hadn't come out to interview them and try and get some sort of information to cluck about with the rest of their groupies. It was reaching half six in the evening and all she could do was lay on her bed, looking up at the ceiling. She had no inspiration to draw nor was she in the mood to record her 'adventures' in her journal

Maybe she could go on a walk or maybe she could visit an old friend. She hadn't seen Amber Kensington in years, they were quite close when they were younger but they lost touch even before she left for Japan, Arden wasn't sure why though. Amber's number was still saved in her phone so maybe she could call and say hello. Yeah, why not? She pulled out her phone once again and found Amber's name right at the top. She pressed on her name, the ringing tone blaring down her ear. She waited for a moment and eventually, Amber picked up. "Hello, who's this?" she yelled over music in the background.

Arden was slightly hurt that she was so easily forgotten but then again it's been many years, "Hey, Amber, I don't know if you remember me but it's Arden Haynes." 

"Arden Haynes... Arden... Oh my god! Hey, it's been forever!" she squealed.

Arden cringed at the squeal. Maybe that's why we lost touch, she thought. "Yeah, um, I was just wondering if you were still in town."

"Yeah, I am actually. Wow, I can't believe it's really you! I wonder what you look like now." Amber giggled.

"Well, it's not like I've changed much, it's been like four, maybe even five, years?" Arden shrugged.

"Hm. Anyway, tomorrow we should totally meet up again and catch up." Amber suggested rather enthusiastically although, Arden wasn't too sure if she felt like doing that.

Arden remembered Amber being a trouble maker who often found herself in the principal's office at least seven times a month. Maybe that was the reason their friendship withered. Arden was never one to cause or engage in rowdy behavior but Amber was. Whatever Amber went down for, Arden went down with her too all because of association. 

Despite her worries, Arden agreed to meet Amber at her house tomorrow at half three in the afternoon. She had a small feeling that this was going to be a huge mistake but decided to ignore it.

Her stomach grumbled ferociously. She realised she hadn't eaten since the flight but she wasn't sure if her parents had sorted out the kitchen stuff yet. Plus, she felt extreme tension with her mother at the moment and she was in no sort of mood to argue once again. Her stomach grumbled again and she was desperate for food now, preferably spring— She sat up suddenly and remember Akiko's text about the spring rolls in her suitcase.

She sprang off her bed and immediately started rummaging through her suitcase to find a large container of spring rolls. She twitched in anticipation as she struggled to remove the lid. "Oh come on!" she groaned in frustration. Even though it took some time, eventually she pried the lid open and she must have grabbed at least two in each hand, shoving them into her mouth. "Thank you, Akiko." she muttered with her mouth full. 

She explored her father's office, grazing her fingers over his books placed on his bookshelf systematically. She examined his notes on his desk, most of them in enigma code, making it very difficult to cipher what was written on the sheets. She suspected something to do with drugs but if it was, the officers that infiltrated their home that evening would've taken this with them too. Her father often dabbled in drugs, mostly Class A such as heroine, methadone and sometimes ecstasy. However, drugs was only one of the many offences that landed him, in total, a twenty year sentence in jail.