Treason.

"My lady, it is time to get up."
I am awoken by the delicate voice of my hand maid, a frail old woman, who has cared for me since I was born. Opening my eyes, the early morning light floods through the now open curtains almost blinding me.
I am dressed and led down stairs by my maid to the dining room, where my father is seated at the head of the table eating porridge.
"Good Morning Lizzie, glad to see you are finally awake. I believe you are going hunting today."
"Yes father"
"Very well then. Once you have eaten, Mrs Portsmouth shall take you out to the stables and bring you home in time for supper." He instructs.
"Yes father" I reply with a weak nod.
"Elizabeth, what is wrong? You don't seem like your usual self this morning"
"I just... I have a gut feeling something terrible will happen today, father, that is all"
"Ah I'm sure everything will be fine. Just whatever happens, remember that I will always love you regardless and so will your mother and brother, God bless their souls" He replied while walking across the room, embracing me in a sincere hug and leaving to carry on with what I assume to be work.
"My lady, please sit and I shall fetch your breakfast" Spoke my maid.
~ Time Skip ~
After breakfast, Mrs Portsmouth did indeed take me to the stables and we rode through the various surrounding meadows. The day has been pretty relaxing so far; although, the pit in my stomach still remained. We were now slowly trotting home, though I slightly fell behind to have some alone time.
"Elizabeth, hurry up dear." Mrs Portsmouth called.
"You go on ahead, Mrs Portsmouth. I'll catch up in a minute" I replied
"Are you sure, my lady? What if there were to be bandits hiding amongst the trees?"
"Have you not seen my skill with my bow today? And you know full well that I am always equipped with the family dagger" I retorted.
"Very well, but if you are not back by the time the sun has fully set than I shall come and retrieve you"
"Okay, I understand"

Once Mrs Portsmouth had left, I strayed off the path to my favourite place, a nearby stream with a small waterfall. I unleashed my horse, knowing I can trust Hazel not to wonder off too far. I sat on the edge of the stream watching the water flow much like the various thoughts did through my head.
After a while, I noticed that the light had faded somewhat and the wildlife had quietened. I took this as my que and started heading home.

As I neared the estate, ear-piercing screams echoed through the forest and I recognised them to be of my maid. Kicking my feet, I galloped on Hazel until I came to an abrubt halt at the edge of the tree line before my home, where shock soon consumed me.
A fire was devouring the manor in a flash of scorching flame and soon it began to burn the surrounding ground. Thick black clouds of smoke choked the air and I found my self having to cover my mouth with my cloak in order to breathe. Tearing my eyes away from my now desecrated home, I became fixated on the scene in front of me. Besides the old Thornewell oak tree lay the lifeless bodies of all the servents, only a few figures remained. It seemed as though a small squad of soldiers were present with another looking more superior due to his well made armour compaired to the rest. Four were on horses, four standing and the superior one was just dismounting his steed. Something seemed similar about them, they all paraded a red cape embroided with a golden dragon - the kings men?! Why would they do this?
That's when the group parted and I saw another slumped figure kneeling on the red stained floor... My father.
Even from this far away, I could still hear their voices over the crackling burning wood and any other adjacent woodland sounds.
"Why do you do this Uther?" My father questioned in a distressed voice.
"Because, Alexander, you have been accused of medling with magical forces and commiting high treason in doing so." Replied the superior figure.
"Have I not remained loyal to you through out your years of ruling? Did I not stand by you when you lost your dear wife? Did I not help you train and raise your son in hopes that he would be a great leader like his father?! Did I Uther?!" My father yells whilst standing up to show his determination.
"Enough of this madness!" Uther snapped and by now I am crying but somehow don't brake into a sob. "You have commited a crime, which is punishable by death and so your years of loyalty are examples of your decietfulness." Uther sheaths his sword and places its tip just above my father's heart, that's when my father's gaze meets mine.
"Uther, please, I beg of you. Show mercy, I know that you are distressed but this isn't the right wa-"
"I said silence!" Uther roars, and as he does so he pushes his blade slightly into my father's chest drawing blood. The eyes of my father spill desperation and yet I see that he still tries to remain strong for my benefit.
"Do you have any final words before I spill your treacherous blood?" Uther demands.
Knowingly, my father smiles slightly and says "Even the toughest bark of the oldest oak tree will sucumb to harsh fires; however, as long as there's even a slither of life she shall, in due time, grow mighty once more. For our roots are deep and so we shall never fall"
At the finishing of his words, Uther plunges his blade into my father's chest and the light instantly fades from his eyes. I let out an involuntary cry, only to realise my mistake when the guards turn and look in my general direction.
Without hesitation, I steer Hazel off and gallop at her upmost speed heading in no particular direction. Behind me, I hear the following horses and so I pick up pace.
After a while, the sound of hoofs had subsided and so I slowed to a swift trot. Eventually, we reached a willow tree by a river and so I tied Hazel up and I made myself comfy leaning against the bottom in a small ball with my cloak wrapped around me.
Tears continuously spilt down my cheeks and that image of my father's last moments replayed in my head. I don't know how but sleep managed to overcome me.