11- Monsters and Beasts

Rose' POV

"No! I'm not going to help clean up this mess, the other servants will do it later." Theo complained as I tried to convince him into helping me sweep up the hay he accidentally knocked over.
"You can't just let the other servants clean up your mess, they already have enough work to do." I reasoned.
"Well that is their job. They are payed to clean." He reasoned, quite arrogantly.

I swear, sometimes he can behave like a spoilt prince.

As we were having our late night talks, we decided to dance. It ended with me jumping onto a large pile of hay bails and Theo following me, the weight soon being too much and the hay collapsing into a straw heap. And now, ten minutes later, I am standing there with two rakes. One I am holding and the other I am arguing with.

The large scatter of hay was soon raked (by me) into a giant, tall pile. I sighed, satisfied and turned over to Theo with an accomplished smile. He smirked at me before running into me, tackling me with a giant hug, throwing me into the pile of straw, the hay flying everywhere.

I burst into laughter as I landed in the now destroyed pile of straw. Theo laughed whilst standing and looking at me with a mischievous grin, eyes dancing. I huffed and pretended to be angry.
"Help me up, that was unbelievably uncourteous of you." I chided.
He immediately apologised for his rudeness to a female and held his hand out to help me up. I yanked on his hand and he tumbled to the ground with me, landing on top of me as I giggled like a giddy school girl.

"That wasn't fair!" He laughed and I grinned.
"Honey, life isn't fair." I replied. We both burst into laughter again. I suddenly realised the position we were in. Him on top of me and me laying there. He stared at me, his eyes burning into mine, before he moved his gaze to my lips. I gulped and he removed his eyes, looking back up to my eyes and to my hair. He pulled a piece of straw from my probably messy hair and laughed. Soon after, he gulped and got off of me, standing up to straighten his shirt and holding out his hand, helping me up as I gathered and straightened my skirts.

Conversation continued to other topics, but I couldn't help thinking of what had just occurred.

Tomorrow will be the last night I will be able to spend with Theo, and also the last night of freedom I have before I get thrust into a world of debutantes and balls. I sighed. I shouldn't think about that now. I need to just enjoy each day as it comes.

I have been pondering the idea of whether or not to tell Theo the truth, or a lie, or perhaps not tell him at all. I decided on the latter. I couldn't bring it up and I couldn't mention it to him. I couldn't watch his face crumple as he realised I would never see him again. I couldn't bear the thought. I simply couldn't.
I breathed in and shook the thoughts away. I am sad to be losing such a good friend, but what would he do when he discovered I had been lying to him?

"Your thoughts seem to be off with the fairies" the voice of Theo spoke, snapping me out of my day dream.
"If only they were off with fairies, I fear they are more off with monsters and beasts."
We both sighed.
"I believe the monsters an beasts are invading my head too." He commented.
Silence soon enveloped us, filling the room with emptiness. Alas, I was content to simply sit there. Next to a new friend I loved deeply... As a friend of course. Theo placed his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in tight to him. We both exhaled and I snuggled into his warm, broad chest. We sat there until the sun began to rise.

I jumped up, suddenly realising that I had to tell him. I needed to, so we could spend our last day in happiness, with him knowing it to be our last day. I had an idea and an adventure planned.
"Theo, I have something to tell you. Tomorrow is the last day I shall be able to see you before..... Ah... Ummm.... Travelling off to other places." I stumbled and mumbled my words, spitting them out quickly as I decided on my plan of telling him. I had to tell him straight away, before I changed my mind, and kept the secret from him.
He seemed to sigh, with what almost seemed to be relief, perhaps?
"So tomorrow is the last day I will ever get to spend with you? Ever?" He replied, his eyes filled with sadness and a look of knowing horror.

"So, today, we are going on an adventure." I claimed. "If you can get the day off work, that is."
"I wouldn't miss an adventure with you, dear little one." He responded, his hand reaching for mine as he placed a delicate kiss onto my bare hand.

Theo's POV

I can't tell her. I can't tell her. I can't tell her. I can't tell her. I can't tell her.

Those were the only words running through my mind the entire night I spent with Rose. The sun rose up and she lay in my arms and I felt content and happy, but four words still wouldn't escape my mind. I can't tell her.
The sun rose and the second last night I would spend with Rose came to a close. But how was I supposed to tell her I would never see her again?
"I'm the crown prince and have to attend a ball every night to find a wife, and you are a servant who I will not be able to see ever again."
The words made me shudder. This girl was amazing and wonderful and I loved her....

As a friend, of course.

Then she uttered out words in a quick mumbled voice.
"Theo, I have something to tell you. Tomorrow is the last day I shall be able to see you before..... Ah... Ummm.... Travelling off to other places."
She couldn't see me ever again either. I didn't have to tell her. My heart filled with relief and joy, but just as soon as it filled, it emptied again. Filling this time with sadness and despair.

I still would never be able to see her again.

She continued on, talking about plans for our day today.

"Did you hear of the secret passageways hidden throughout the castle?" She asked, her eyes wide with innocent wonder.

In truth, I know nothing of these passageways, as I tried looking for them as a child, but never found them, so had decided they did not exist. If anyone would know about them, it would be me. I have explored every inch of the palace walls.

I laughed at her. "I believe they do not exist, it is simply legend."
"I've seen one before." She replied simply.
"You've seen one?" I asked, disbelief filling me. But how did she find it? I had been everywhere in the palace, minus of course, the servants quarters and kitchens.
"Yes, I have. And tonight, we are going to explore this passageway." She spoke in low, enticing whispers, and I couldn't help but gleam at her cute face, filled with excitement at the thought of adventure.
"Meet me here, the stables, at 10:00pm exactly." She informed me, bossily. Like a king would. With that, she turned around and ran away, up to the palace.