Chapter III

Markus screamed in pain as the brand came down on his left shoulder blade. He was too tired to fight it and he was depressed too. Markus felt that he had failed Isabelle. He tried to protect her, but the creatures made of metal were too powerful. He and Isabelle were now part of the slave laborers. He was to work until he couldn't work anymore and Isabelle was a slave in the kitchen, forced to cook and prepare huge meals with the other slave girls in the kitchen. All for that bratty girl with the metal creatures. They ruined his life, wedding, and future. He was just glad that his Isabelle wouldn't be an object of pleasure as the creatures were apparently doing what the girl had said. Markus swore that he would have revenge on Twistspawn the Evil. Even if he had to die, he would have Twistspawn's head mounted on the wall of his cabin. The last time he saw Isabelle was when she was being led away from him. For now his only chance of escape was Draco. He talked to Draco using the mind bond he shared and in one day, he and Isabelle would be flying away into the mountains, planning the next attack, build an army, and ending Twistspawn's tyranny. After a meal of bread and water, he went to sleep for the hard days work he would be doing.

A whip cracked and a slave screamed. Markus was not phased as he continued his work. The first thing that Twistspawn planned to begin her reign was to build and commemorate a fifty foot "statue" of herself. Markus had never heard of a "statue" and was wondering what it was. He got his answer when he he saw the drawing of the "statue" in the middle of field. Humans and elves were ordered to work on the "statue". Human males worked, but both male and female elves were ordered to work. Markus was at the base of the "statue" and it was blistering hot under the sun. As Markus brought more clay to the base, he tripped on a log. He fell hard and lost the clay. As he picked up what he could salvage, a hand brought him a cup of water. He followed the hand that belonged to his Isabelle. She had a water skin slung over her shoulder and was dressed in an ugly brown dress. It may have been simple and her hair was a mess, but he still saw her beauty.

"Drink, Markus." she ordered him.

Markus drank the cold water from the cup and Isabelle poured him another from the skin.

"Isabelle, you need some for yourself."

"Markus, I'll be okay. You need to take care of yourself. Let me help."

"If you're caught helping me....they'll punish you."

"I can survive."

"We both will. By tomorrow morning, we'll be free and on our own."

"What do you mean?"

"You see that bird circling in the sky?"

Isabelle looked up to see a hawk or eagle circling around the compound in the sky.

"Yes..." she said, questionably.

"It's not a bird." Markus smiled.

Isabelle smiled back and kissed him quickly.

"I love you, Markus." she said.

"I know. Do you know where they keep you at night?"

"Third floor on the west side."

"I'll be there for you late at night."

Annabelle patted the mud down and watch as a human boy talked to a golden haired human girl. From the kiss he gave her, they must have been in love. From the way he talked to her, it seemed that he had a way to escape. That night, she waited and using a thin key that she stole off a Smiley, broke out of her cell and hunted the boy using his scent as a homing point. She watched as he broke the cell door off of it's hinges and broke the girl out.

There was then a loud blaring noise. Red energy circled them and they ran. Annabelle followed them where they came to the prison field. The human male shouted out a large green dragon fell from the sky and the boy climbed on it.

"Wait!" Annabelle shouted. "Wait! I can take you to a safe place. Take me with you!"

Before the boy could answer a whip went around the human female. She was pulled to a Smilie.

"Isabelle!" Markus shouted.

"Markus, go! I know you will come back! GO!" she shouted.

"I'll come back for you! I promise! Come on!" Markus shouted to Annabelle as he reached his hand out to her.

Annabelle gripped his hand and they flew away from the fortress.

Isabelle took one last look at her Markus as he flew away.

*

Draco landed in a valley and Markus jumped from his back angrily. So he focused his anger on the elf.

"What the Hell was that!?" he shouted.

"That was an escape." Annabelle told him, calmly.

"The escape had spots for me and Isabelle! Not you and me!"

"We will get your beloved back." she said. "Now do you want to tell me how you have a dragon?"

"He belongs to me. I hatched him and raised him."

"I do not belong to just you Markus." Draco added. He turned to the elf. "And who are you?"

"Princess Annabelle of the Elves, O great Dragon."

Draco bowed and told Markus to do the same, but the human did not bend.

"I do not bow to anyone." He snarled.

"Markus, we are in the presence of Royalty. You should bow."

"I will bow...when I spit in the face of evil."

"Markus!" Draco exclaimed.

He was about to scold Markus about how he should act in the presence of Royalty, but them he remembered that Markus had just lost his future with Isabelle. His claim was understandable.

"Markus, I know that you lost Isabelle..."

"I did not lose her. She was stolen from me."

*********

This chapter was written by the original author in 2014 and was drafted while "A Slave to the Dragon King" was in progress. There are no other chapters for this work available to add as the author passed away in December 2018.

Vote and Comment!!!