Chapter 6

We ran out of food in a week, despite the rationing attempts. We still had the money but we were determined to make that last as long as possible. We lived on candy bars and any cheap deal that we could find in the local 99p store. Not very healthy, but it is all we could do.

We lived in a little hidey hole in the river bank. It was suprisingly roomy, although River and I were both forced onto our knees and we couldn't stand up at all. It seemed like it was something that was hollowed out by workmen and then abandoned. It was probably going to be a place for a new sewage pipe to come out. The river wouldn't get high enough to flood us, and even if it did, River would protect us.

River returned from his guard patrol. River and I took turns doing guard patrol and shopping, so that Ali was never on her own.

"Anything?" I asked

"Nope, all clear, as usual." He flopped down on the ground from the knee-walking position and cradled his head in his hands. "Ash, I have something to tell you." He said gloomily.

"What?"

"I am getting extremely worried about what we are going to do once the money runs out. We only have five pounds left, since we lost the ten pound note and we are living off two chocolate bars each per day. Not the best situation ever, huh?"

"Chocolate!" Ali squealed, obviously happy with our food supply. I sighed.

"I have no idea what we are going to do. We should have worried about this earlier." I said and I got up onto my knees. "I'm going to go for a walk."

"Wait." River said and grabbed my hand. "We have no money, Flame. I got mugged and a man stole the rest of my money. He hit me on the head and I was out for long enough for him to ransack my bag and run away with the money." A tear actually fell from his eye. River crying? It sounds silly but he NEVER cried.

"Oh." I said and cursed under my breath.

"That was rude." Ali observed helpfully.

"Ash," River said, not daring to look into my eyes. "We are going to die if we don't get money somehow. And, you're not going to like this but we are too young to get jobs so we have to steal."

I stared at him in shock. "Steal? What, and be just as bad as that man that took the money from you? I am not going to steal, River. We could just as well take the last of someone else's money and end up killing them. No."

"Not even for Ali?"

I cursed again, louder this time. He had put me into a horrible position. He must have been figuring out how to manipulate me all the way home. I couldn't say no and possibly kill Ali, and I couldn't say yes and possibly kill someone else.

"Why don't you do it?" I said accusingly.

"Because," he sighed, "You are smaller and slighter than me. And I have the look of a typical teenage trouble maker. People will automatically avoid me. Messy look, wearing a hoodie..."

"The look of someone who has been through too much for her age?" I said angrily, "Because I'm pretty sure I have that look too!"

"Yeah, but you look more innocent than me..."

"Shut up, River, just shut up. Stop trying to make me do this. I HATE YOU!" I crawled out of the hole and stamped down up onto the river bank. "I'm going to do my guard duty now. Bye."

I walked left down the river and searched for anything or anyone that looked suspicious. I fully knew that I was more noticeable than River for my flaming red hair, so I put my hood up and tried to keep a low profile. This was partly why I didn't want to do the stealing thing. Partly because it was wrong, partly because it was way easier for me to be described and then recognised.