Prologue

"But Mom! I've got to have him!"

"You don't need him, Vivian—"

"Yes I do! Where else am I going to find the Black Series of my favorite character?"

"Vivian..."

"Come on, Mom, it's my money, and I won't be able to find this anywhere else around us and nowhere near this cheap. Please, Mom?"

"You still have bills to pay."

"I know, I've already got it all figured out, I know what I'm doing. Please, just let me buy him?"

"Fine...it's up to you. But if you're short on money it's up to you to come up with a way to pay for them, I won't help you."

Seventeen-year-old—nearly eighteen-year-old if you asked her age—Vivian Spivy gave a whoop of victory and pumped her fist in the air, mid-back length platinum blonde hair bouncing about, ice blue eyes sparkling in excitement, and not caring how childish her actions or the conversation she'd just had seemed. Yes, she was nearly a legal adult, but her parents still obsessed over how she handled her life just as much as when she'd been younger. As for the action figure she'd been itching to buy...

What was wrong with being an ultra-passionate fan of something? A favorite like this guaranteed being transported back to one's kid years, and that was a good thing! It kept her happy, it helped her feel sane, it gave her hopes and dreams.

Though right now, it was the small things in life that brought the greatest joy. Or, in this case, it was a three and a half, four inch Luke Skywalker Black Series action figure—Luke Skywalker from A New Hope, too.

Vivian eagerly went to the cash register and forked over the money for the action figure with a broad smile. For the few moments she was waiting for the cashier guy, she debated over whether she would leave it in the box to be worth more in later years...or just take it out to use.

Her eighteenth birthday may have been fast approaching, but she was in her adulthood denial phase, and one was never too old for some childish things. What was wrong with having a favorite action figure or doll kept in bed with you? She still had a stuffed animal or two nearby, and she used to keep her favorite Harry Potter action figure with her all the time when she was little.

She saw nothing wrong with keeping the Luke Skywalker action figure with her.

Happily, Vivian thanked the cashier as she was handed her receipt and left the Star Wars Launch Bay Cargo Bay with her mother and stepfather in tow, deciding to at least wait until they were in the Chevy truck to open her new prize. The Launch Bay had been their last stop for their family trip to Disney World, and Vivian had been saving her money for that specific gift shop.

Now all that painful passing on Disney goodies was paying off.

Down the main street, past the crowded exit gates they went before boarding a brightly colored tram that would take them back to the parking lot. Vivian's mother, once-blonde Shana Lancy, shot her several pale green eyed 'sit still' looks the entire way, but Vivian didn't care—she was too happy to care.

They made it to the parking lot in what felt like seconds to Vivian, and as soon as the doors to their truck shut behind her and her seatbelt was on, she reverently opened the box, pulling out the plastic tray and releasing the small figure, miniature lightsaber, and tiny binoculars from its prison.

Vivian's stepfather, brunet, brown eyed Dwight Lancy laughed at her expression. "You'd think you were holding the holy grail!"

"I may as well be, in my little world," Vivian retorted, cradling the action figure carefully in her nimble hands. "Do you have any idea how many people would have cried out in terror to see me take that out of the package?"

"You should have left it in the package—it could have been worth a lot of money," Shana scolded her. Vivian rolled her eyes.

"If I get the opportunity I'll buy another one, and that one can be the one I don't open. This one is for use," Vivian stated proudly, propping the little Luke up on her lap with pride. Her mother shook her head in obvious disapproval while Dwight simply started the truck with a soft chuckle, guiding them back to the hotel. Vivian leisurely watched the palm trees and buildings pass, holding to the action figure to be sure she wouldn't lose him. When she grew bored she started to inspect her figure and pulled at the soft fabric that was the shirt. The pants and boots were painted on, and the utility belt was movable like the shirt. There were four pouches, the belt buckle, a hook for the binoculars, a small water canteen on his belt, and his hands were sculpted to hold the lightsaber. She was ecstatic to see his eyes the right shade of blue—as close as one could get—and his slightly wavy, mostly messy blonde hair with the curls angled up at the ends of his hair were sculpted in too.

She'd seen too many figured that didn't even come close to what Luke Skywalker looked like and didn't do the character justice. This one was spot on, and it made her ecstatic.

The entire family was exhausted, so as soon as they got to the hotel that evening everyone split. Vivian stayed in the main chamber which included the small kitchenette, the four person dining table, the pull out bed couch, and one television. Her parents went into the bedroom that was joined to the small living room area and had another door that went into the bathroom, which was also connected to the small dining room and kitchenette area.

Vivian changed into her pajamas, stretching tall before she flopped down on the bed, snatching her Luke Skywalker action figure off of the couch side table she'd set him down on and snuggling under the blankets, propping up her pillows and reclining against them. She flipped on the television, taking a few minutes to settle on a show before she placed the little Luke figure at her side.

Dwight came out of the bedroom—which was right across from her pull out bed—grinning at her as he walked through to the kitchen.

"Are you cuddling with Luke?" he asked innocently.

Vivian blushed slightly, sticking her tongue out at him and supplying no response. Dwight simply laughed at her, getting the soda he'd been after and returning to his bedroom.

Vivian relaxed well into the night, though eventually she reluctantly turned off the television. They were leaving in the morning, and she didn't want to be dead on her feet when she needed to be running through the airports.

Sleepily, Vivian shuffled out of the bed momentarily to turn off the lights, returning to the pull out and lying down. Her hand sought out her action figure, and she plucked him off of the bed, situating herself on her stomach and lying the Luke figure in the inside crook of her elbow, gazing towards it in the darkness. Her mind began to wander, thinking of all she wanted from life and would never have, and of all the guys she had seen, met, or known in her life.

The only guys she'd ever really liked or wanted had always been imaginary.

Vivian looked at the figure sadly, heart suddenly heavy as she looked at her favorite character ever.

"I wish I could go to your galaxy, that I could live there...or at least...I wish you were real," she whispered. Of course, the figure didn't respond. Her spirits suddenly a little low, Vivian settled down for the night, quickly falling asleep with her Luke Skywalker held close.