Chapter 2: The Basics

The next morning, Vivian was the first to wake, rolling over in bed with a heavy sigh. She simply lay there for a while, eyes closed and trying to deny that she had to get up for another day.

However, when her mind wandered to the events of the previous night, her eyes snapped open, though she immediately shut them again with a soft hiss because of the bright daylight streaming through her window.

Had it been real, or was it just a dream?

She didn't know which one she hoped for. How was she supposed to take care of a little Skywalker without anyone knowing?

Carefully, Vivian cracked an eye open much slower, casting her bleary eyed gaze down to the bottom shelf of her bookshelf.

Sure enough, she could see the steady rise and fall of the handkerchief blanket, and the mop of blonde hair resting on the wrist sweatband. Luke Skywalker was still fast asleep in her makeshift bed, and he had indeed come to life last night.

Which means he also bit me, Vivian couldn't help but think.

Pushing that unpleasant thought aside, Vivian reluctantly pushed the covers back and got out of bed, taking care to not wake her tiny visitor. When she realized she could hear no other voices in the room she took her opportunity and swiftly left her room, traveling down the hall and taking a right at the end to come into the living room, and then a left to raid the kitchen.

******************************************************************************

When Luke woke up the next morning, he kept his eyes squeezed tightly shut long enough to say a quick prayer that the night before would just be a dream and he'd open his eyes to find himself still on the Millennium Falcon.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, as when he opened his eyes he was staring at really large paper books with inscriptions on the spine that he couldn't read. Luke groaned softly, closing his eyes and burying his face in his pillow as he tried to avoid this strange reality for just a little longer.

That plan was graciously ruined when a few moments later he heard a door open and someone entered the room. Worried that someone else was coming to discover his existence, Luke pulled the handkerchief over his head and flipped over to try and see who was coming through the sheer material.

"Are you awake?" came Vivian's voice, and Luke sighed, heartbeat returning to normal as he removed the sheet from over his head.

"Yeah, I'm awake. I thought you were someone else coming in," Luke told her.

Vivian nodded. "Today I might see about getting you a private corner disguised so that no one will bother you. And possibly some furniture. I've got an old dollhouse I made with my dad when I was eight in the garage. I can go raid it after breakfast."

Luke sighed. "What has the galaxy come to that I've resulted to using doll accessories."

Vivian snorted, breaking off a small piece of her bread and butter and handing it down to him. "Here—I've also got some eggs and sausage links. I sincerely hope I can eat all of this," she chuckled.

Luke took the rather large piece of bread—at least to him—with a small sigh. "Being this small is already getting depressing—I have to hold it in two hands it's so big to me, but to you it's a crumb."

"Hey, don't go getting depressed on me, I have sausage!" Vivian said in hopes of cheering him up. "Honestly, it's much easier to keep you hidden at this size than if you were a full grown person."

Luke took a bite of the bread, shaking his head. "Still...it's a little humiliating. I mean, I don't even have a change of clothes!"

Vivian smiled apologetically. "Sorry, I can't help you there. I don't like dolls, so I won't have anything from another doll that's your size, and I'm terrible at sewing."