Chapter Twenty Seven - PDA

"Alright sweetie, you should be fine. If you have any shortness of breath, just go to the doctors." The paramedic smiled at me.

"Thanks." I said in an irritated tone. I shot Charlie a glare and carefully stood up from the poolside. Connor grabbed my arm and helped keep my balance.

"You okay?" he asked. I jokingly coughed.

"Never better." I said and shot him a sarcastic smile.

"That's not funny, you almost died."

"I wonder why." I snapped back. His eyes got big and his jaw dropped. Maybe now he understands that saving my life didn't help anything. "You held me under! You ignored me when I screamed." My eyes filled with tears as I brought back the recent memories.

"Kaylen I-"

"Don't apologize for what you can't take back." I interrupted and ran into the house. My legs carried me as far up the stairs as they could but my head couldn't handle all of the confusion. I collapsed on the top step and started crying, hard. 'Why would he ignore me like that?' I thought to myself. 'It was like he didn't even know I was there...'

"You okay...?" Charlie mumbled from the bottom of the stairs. I pulled my head up from my knees and looked at her with my red, puffy eyes. I shook my head violently to indicate that I REALLY wasn't okay. "Kaylen." She said, running up the stairs with her arms stretched out. The instant her body collided with mine, I started crying even harder.

"I-I can't believe him!" I sobbed into her shoulder.

"He didn't realize what was going on." She whispered, trying to ease my thoughts.

"You're right..." I sighed. "that's why I have to leave." I wiped the tears from my eyes. "He didn't care."

"Kaylen you know damn well that he cares so much about you." Charlie hissed, letting go of my body. I cringed without her comforting warmth.

"Then why did I almost drown?!" I exclaimed.

"He saved your life! Be thankful for that!" She yelled in my face and walked back down the stairs. I sat there with dry, puffy red eyes, thinking. 'He saved me, but he also almost killed me.'

"Kay, why are you mad at him?" someone asked from the bottom step. this time, it was a male voice that I didn't recognize off the top of my head. I looked down to see Jc standing there with his hands in his front pockets.

"I-I don't know..." I muttered, running my hand over my wet hair.

"Let me get you a towel." He said and walked away from the stair case. That's when I realized that my clothes were soaking wet. I curled my legs up and wrapped my arms around my knees, now shivering violently. "Here." Jc handed my a warm, dry towel. He sat down next to me as I quickly wrapped the towel around me. "You know," he mumbled, "this was kind of my fault too."

"How?" I asked.

"I shouldn't have done such a sick cannon ball." he laughed.

"Funny." I smiled. The room went silent for a few awkward minutes until I spoke up."Why am I mad?"

"You tell me. He saved you, that's pretty daring. I mean, can you imagine having his life in your hands?"

"I never thought of it like that..." I trailed off.

"Please talk to him?" Jc asked. I pulled the towel tighter to my body and nodded my head. Jc helped me off the floor and walked next to me down the stairs. Connor was standing in the kitchen, tapping his fingers on the granite countertops. he looked up and made perfect eye contact with me.