Interrogation

-Sunshine Diamond's POV-
I heard Atomic Dragon yell from above, and then the sound of laser beams filled the air. My stupid over-protective brothers made us girls stay down here with the kids and wait. I knew it was to keep the kids from getting scared, but I wanted to see some action. Things here in Zone 6 were so quiet sometimes that I swore they might as well add boredom to the list of things that could kill you, along with Exterminators, radiation, and rattle snakes.

"When they get down here," I said out loud, "we're going to have a talk about the whole 'you girls stay down here' idea." Battery Bomb nodded in agreement. "No offense, Witch Hazel," I added, knowing that she wanted to stay with her kids.

"None taken," she replied, and then added in a philosophical tone, "Maybe we're the last line of defense."

That silenced my grumpy thoughts quickly. Witch Hazel was right. If something happened to the boys, we were all that was left against the attacking force.

I looked around at the metal walls, and my eyes rested on a pile of clothing. I rolled my eyes as I realized whose it was. "Atomic has got to stop sleeping in his underwear. If the laser beams didn't kill those Dracs, then they'd die from laughter," I remarked sarcastically.

As quick as the shooting began, all of it suddenly stopped. My breath hitched in my throat as images of when I was only a little girl, alone with my brothers and sisters in that desert where we'd all grown up too fast. Down here in the basement, I had no idea what was going on. I looked at my sister-in-law and noticed her face was deathly pale.

My transmitter crackled with static, making us all jump. I picked it up and waited for the signal to even out.

"Sunshine," came Atomic Dragon's voice.

I mashed the button so hard my thumb ached. "I'm here!"

"Co-.... Draculoid... Questions," came back the garbled reply.

"Atomic, I can't understand you," I answered, trying to keep the fear out of my voice. It's just the static, I told myself, Everyone is okay.

More cracking, and then Atomic Dragon said, "Live Drac... Questions... Killed... Come up.... Witch Hazel."

The suspense was killing me. "I can't take this anymore. Apparently there's a live Draculoid, someone's dead, and he wants all of us to go upstairs," I said in frustration.

Blood opted to stay with her nieces and nephews, so Witch Hazel, Battery Bomb, Gear Monkey, and I hurried up the stairs with our masks on and our blasters ready for action.

When we finally exited the dark passageway, we saw that the men had left one Drac alive. The rest were in a pile outside. I assumed that they planned to burn the dead bodies. Gear Monkey walked over to Atomic Dragon and handed him the clothes he'd left behind. Atomic Dragon smiled and ruffled his son's hair before getting dressed and hurriedly pulling on his mask. The women and I walked over as well, examining the restrained Drac in front of us.

"Have they said anything?" I asked.

Nuclear shook his head.

I looked over to ask Atomic another question, but he and Witch were busy kissing up a storm. Everyone turned to look except for Gear Monkey, who seemed disgusted by the display of affection.

"PDA!" Ghoul yelled.

Party smirked as Witch Hazel and Atomic Dragon pulled apart, breathing heavily. Atomic's face turned red at the attention, but then Witch whispered something in his ear that made his chest puff out and caused a mischevious grin to spread over his face. I shook my head, trying not to smile.

"Can we get back to the task at hand?" Battery asked, smacking Atomic Dragon's arm playfully.

He laughed and rubbed his arm while saying, "Yeah, that's a good idea." We turned our attention back to the Draculoid.

"Why are you here?" Toxic asked sternly.

"Keep smiling," the Drac replied automatically.

Whoever this person had once been, they weren't human now. They were merely a hollow shell. I figured the main reason Blood had decided to stay below was because Draculoids gave her the creeps. They had killed our parents, and she didn't want to be near one. She'd once told me that Dracs were unnatural, and I couldn't agree more. Better Living Industries pumped them full of pills until there was nothing left of who they had once been.

"Don't give us that shit," Atomic growled. He was so irritated that a vein in his neck stood out and feathered wildly.

"The Exterminator sent us here," the Drac replied.

Party Poison swore.

Not Korse again, I thought, Can't that bald demon just leave us alone?

Then the Drac began rattling off our names, one by one. "Party Poison. Fun Ghoul. Jet-Star. Kobra Kid. Battery Bomb. Sunshine Diamond. Toxic Mutt. Witch Hazel. Atomic Dragon. Nuclear Wave. Electric Adrenaline." They turned to look at Gear Monkey, tilting their head in genuine surprise. "Who are you?"

Atomic  stepped in front of his son protectively. "None of your damn business," he growled.

I had no doubt that the Drac was smiling under their mask, smiling with no emotion. It made me think of homocidal maniacs in the movies, how they would smile while they were murdering their victims. I suddenly felt sick as the gruesome images flashed through my brain.

Party Poison must've noticed how white my face had gone under my mask because he walked over and asked, "Are you alright?"