#16: The Final Chapter (Part 1)

"Wow, Nutella can make you really happy." I observe Janet cleaning the end of the jar with her fingers.

"Mm-Hmm...yeah, yeah." She doesn't even look up.

"I could make you some Nutella brownies if you like." Kris comes out of his room.

"Are you supposed to be Sarah?" She's asks, looking up at him.

"Sarah's brother" I correct.

*Wooooot wooot* She whistles. "How do you manage to sleep in different rooms, K?"

"Janet!!"

"What??"

"Uhh..." I groan, "Are you going to eat the jar too?" I say, snatching it from her hands.

"I'd like a batch of brownies just about now..." Janet says, batting her eyelids at Kris.

He chuckles and starts searching for the ingredients.

~ ~ ~

"You act like a teenager waiting for a prom proposal infront of him. Get yourself together..." The voice of the female artist on television drones on.

"You know she's right." I say, fighting to find some space between Janet's hand in the popcorn bowl.

"That men are stupid?"

"No. That you act like he's Nutella for you."

"Is it that identifiable?"

"Unfortunately, it is." I sigh.

"Can you blame me? His grey eyes are devastatingly beautiful...and the light thrown on his face shows me all the fifty shades." She giggles, and pulls the blanket around me to cover herself better.

"Hmm..." I like fifty shades of another colour though.

"Let's go shopping!!" She suddenly chirps.

"Whaaat?? J...noooo. I'm exhausted!!"

"No excuses! Get your ass up and off this couch!" She says jumping on to her heels.

~ ~ ~

"Which one's better? The green one or the yellow one?" Janet asks as she models some dresses.

"Green."

"But you're not even looking!"

"Huh?"

"K, are you okay??"

"Sea green, moss green, dark green, forest green..."

"K!!"

"Oh Janet!! I miss him! I miss him so much!!" I start to shiver. "I miss him so so so muchhh..." My words tremble as they fall out of my wobbling lips.

"Oh K...Dan...K...I..." Janet begins as I hear my phone ring again.

I wipe tears off the sleeve of my shirt and answer the call without saying a word.

"Hello? Hello? Katherine? Hello? Kate?"

"D..D...Dan?"

"Oh thank god! Please don't hang up...please....just let me speak..."

I stand frozen in time and listen to the voice I thought I'll never hear again. It's more like a melody to my ears rather than the strained voice that he adopts.

"Kate..." He goes on, "I got it all wrong. The past few weeks were a revelation to me. My work that meant my life to me, started to weigh less than you. You! A girl I met a few months ago." He laughs hysterically.