We meet again,... Boyfriend... - chapter 19

The next time I woke up, I was still in bed, I'd been dreaming of Mickey Mouse, the cartoon character, Mickey Mouse, Sodapop's old pet horse, the movie Dally had watched, Bonnie and Clyde, unicorns, butterflies, youth, chocolate cake, my brothers, and the pictures Ponyboy and I used to draw of each other. Ponyboy and and I love art. As I've already told you, I just got out of college on an art scholarship. When I went off to college, I always wanted him to go to college for his artistic ability, just like me, but Darry said no, him to go to college for academic studies. Sodapop even suggested that he went to college for sports, but Darry and I turned down the offer on Pony's behalf.

"Hey," said a deep, calm voice. It was Dally. He was standing in the doorway, watching me.

"Dally!" I nearly screamed, running up to him, giving him a big hug. Once I finally let go of Dally, I said, "What are you doing here?"

He petted my head, smiling, "I snuck in." He pointed toward the window. "I needed to see you." I smiled. I just watching him smile for a while. After a while, he started blushing.

"Ash?" he said. "...I'm sorry."

I looked at him, confused. "For what?" He frowned, looking away.

"It's just..." he said, "It's all my fault that you got in trouble... That Darry's mad at you."

I opened my mouth to contradict him. To say that it wasn't his fault. That it was mine. That I wasn't the one who got hurt. That I should be apologizing to him. But he put his finger over my mouth.

"I hurt you..." he said, giving me a pleading frown and look at me. "I want to be the one helping you,... Not hurting you... Well,... What kinda boyfriend would I be... if I couldn't even protect my girl."

Boyfriend... Boyfriend... I like the sound of that.

I finally got him to pull his finger away from my lips. "Dally..." I said, dumbfounded. "You... You don't have to protect me... And... Why do you think you hurt me?... You could never hurt me..." I snickered, "Even if ya tried."

Dally turned around. "Now... Little lady," he said, smirking and leaning back against the door way, trying to look cool. "As cool a girl as ya may be,..." He pulled my chin up with his finger, forcing me to look him in the eye. "No one, and I mean NO ONE is tuff-er than me."

I pulled my chin away, still smirking. "Try me." I said, "Go ahead, hit me." I got into a fighting stance.

He put up his hand, still smirking, "Sorry," he said, "but I don't fight gals." I took his arm and nearly twisted it all the way back.

"Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow!" he screamed. I let go, making sure that I didn't do any actual damage.

He rubbed his shoulder, still managing a smile. "You're pretty tuff, sweetheart, I gotta admit."

"Yeah." I said, proud of myself. I put my hand on his shoulder. It was throbbing, a little. "You okay, babe?" I said, acting cool. "Need a bandaid and a kiss." He smiled, following my train of thought.

"Yes, please, Nurse Curtis." he said, imitating a little kid.

"Well," I said, looking deep into his big blue eyes. "We're outta band aids." I leaned in, kissing Dally. We stayed like that for what felt like forever. Then, Dally left. He wanted to crawl back out the window, but I insisted that he used the door. After he left, I realized that it was 3:30. I wanted to go do something fun. Everyone, but Darry and Soda would get back from school soon. We have about 4 hours to do something fun without them breathing down our necks... Cool.