Darry's gal! - chapter 38

Dally and I decided to go around town searching for a girl for Darry. It was hot out, so I grabbed a leather jacket with no sleeves and popped the collar to cover my neck.

First, we went to the Dingo to look for a girl. No luck. Then, Dairy Queen. Still, no luck. Finally, we went to the DX. Sodapop and Steve weren't workin' today, so there buds, Dan and Rowan, were there. They worked on the weekends while Sodapop and Steve worked during the week.

"Hey, Ash! What can I do ya for?!" Rowan yelled from behind the counter.

I rolled my eyes. There was something wrong with that guy, but he sure was fun. We used to go to school together before I moved up a few grades. "I'm just looking for someone." I said.

"Who?" Daniel asked, sliding out from under a car that he was fixing, covered in oil.

"I don't know!" I said.

"Huh?" Rowan asked, cocking an eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"I'm trying to set my brother, Darry, up with a girl."

"Speaking of." Rowan said, "Nick, your old friend from high school, heard that you was back. He sure does miss ya." Dally looked at me angry, but I rustled his hair, laughing.

Nicholas, my old high school buddy. When I first moved up a grade, I was in his class. He's Rowan's older brother. Rowan always tried to pair us up. We were close friends, but nothing more... Or so I thought.

I looked into Dallas's eyes. They were burning with fire and fury. He thought I liked him. "Dallas." I said. "I ain't, and ain't never been, Nick's girlfriend. He was a friend of mine."

Rowan's face stiffened a bit. "He ain't been able to sleep. He wants to see you so bad. Even if you are just his friend, he still wants to see you."

I turned to Rowan and stopped. He just continued on. "Can ya swing by in half an hour? He's gonna be here... Please?"

I turned to Dally. I asked him for approval with my eyes. He nodded and said, "Only if I can come."

Rowan perked up. He shook Dallas's hand and ran to the pay phone to call his brother.

Dallas and I were about to leave when Daniel piped up. "Heard you been lookin' for a gal for Darry. I'd be happy to oblige. He can go on a date with my sister. Can they meet at Dairy Queen tonight at 8?"

"Sure." I said. "Sounds great."

We left the DX and headed to the park to inform my brothers that they had a date with Destiny. I'm serious, Destiny is Daniel's sisters name.

We went to the park and I yelled, "Oh, brothers." In a sing songy tone. My 3 brothers came up to me and Dally.

"What is it, Ash?" Darry asked.

"We have good news." Dally said, with the slightest bit of pep in his step.

"What?" Soda asked, the anticipation obviously killing him.

"I got you 2 some dates." I said, pointing to Darry and Soda. They weren't grinning. "What?" I asked.

"Who?" he asked.

"A surprise." I said back. Darry crossed his arms and Soda rolled his eyes.

"Unless it's a date with Jyoti, I'm not interested." Soda said.

"And I'm too busy to date." Darry said.

I put my hands on my hips. "Well, too bad! Soda, your girl is meetin' you at the house at 8 and Darry, yours is meeting you at Dairy Queen at 8. Hey, who knows!" I started chuckling. "Maybe she could become Darry's queen." Soda, Dally, and Pony started chuckling, too. Darry was silent.

"Alright." Soda gave in. "I'll go, but, just one date!" He stressed that last part and I nodded.

"I gotta go do something, guys." I said, walking away. "I gotta meet an old pal at the DX."

Dally turned around, too. "And I'm goin' to see to it that nothin' happens." Dally and I ran off, leaving Darry too think about the date.

We headed to the DX to meet up with Nicholas.

Why does Dally think he has anything to worry about? It's not like Nick liked me or anything... We were just friends... At least, that's what I thought.