Chapter 4 - Unwanted and Unknown Emotions Surfacing

Already done eating for that night, Zoe walked to the living room and sat down on the couch. Because of what happened at the cafeteria earlier, Brian did not come to her house when he was supposed to.

She breathed out exasperatedly. It’s because of Stan! He started that fight earlier and now she is left alone. It’s seven P.M., yet the house is as scary as a haunted house. This is why she hated staying in this big house alone. It feels so creepy!

“I should have apologized to Brian…”

Then, a knock on the door was heard. She quickly stood up, and the thought that it would be Brian made her jump in joy. She ran to the door and opened it. To her dismay, it was Stanley. He was wearing a black shirt and khaki pants. Nevermind that. He is the least person she wanted to see.

“What are you doing?” she questioned with a raise of her brow.

He sighed, “I heard from Aunt Rose that you’re alone because your parents are away.”

“And so?”

“And Bry got mad at us because of you. So I figured he didn’t come to watch over you.”

“Wha—Because of me? Don’t turn everything upside down! It was your fault, and because of you, I’m gonna have insomnia here!”

He ignored everything she said, “Won’t you let me in?”

“Why should I?”

“Because Aunt Lia would probably let me.”

Without any approval from her, he got inside the house and sat down on the couch. Which really wrinkled her forehead.

“Close the door, will you? Before any unwanted visitor comes in,” he nonchalantly ordered.

When she heard that, the door closed in a swift motion. She flinched. Why in the world did she do what he said? She marched to him and stood in front of him, “Even in my house, you act so arrogant.”

“Correction. This is Aunt Lia and Uncle Timothy’s house.”

“I’m their daughter.”

“This isn’t your house. You just live in it.” He stuck his tongue out like a kid.

She clenched her fists, unable to retort to his words. This guy…is so sly! Giving him one last glare, she turned around and marched to her room. The nerve of that guy! He is even the one who barges in someone else’s house and then he acts like a George Bush wannabe!

She jumped on her bed and covered her face with a pillow, “ARRRGH!”

As she relaxed and her breathing slowed down, she realized she was thankful that Stan was here. He is silently helping her to sleep, since she would really experience insomnia if she was alone. Before, Brian would sit on the bed beside her and stay until she fell asleep. Even though Stanley is just below her in the living room, and she’s in her bedroom in the second floor, she felt secure and safe. She wondered why it’s like that.

She removed the pillow from her face, falling asleep with a flustered face. Unbeknownst to Stanley and Zoe earlier, Brian was watching them outside by the side window with a sad smile.

_ ~ _ 

Ring! Ring! Ring!

Zoe tried to open her eyes. ‘My phone…is ringing?’

Ring! Ring! Ring!

She lazily reached for it by the side table and read the caller, “Brian…”