Chapter 4: Girl Time

Hey everyone! FINALLY wrote in this! Took me forever, but I think I finally have a good flow going with writing now that I've been back in school and work. Hopefully things have leveled out. Um... next weekend I have a wedding, and I have a few things to attend to but I hope to get chapters up in the other stories soon too! Hope you all enjoy this filler chapter! :P

***************************************************************************

"Some will win. Some will lose. Some were born to sing the blues."-Don't Stop Believin', Journey

"Just forget about that jerk," Nicole rambled on. "He screwed up Audrey. He'll realize his mistake when he can't see his grandchild grow up."

            Audrey sighed. It had been a few days since the incident with her father, yet the whole ordeal was still weighing on her mind. Like a good friend, Nicole had suggested a girls' day out- just the two of them. The friends sat in plain sight at The Leaky Cauldron getting lunch. Admittedly, Audrey wasn't sure about how well this was going to go. The last place she wanted to be was out in public when she knew there were Death Eaters on the loose. When Nicole had mentioned she wanted to go out, Audrey thought they would've picked somewhere more discreet. Though she supposed sometimes the best hiding place was in the open.

            "I know, Nicole," she finally answered. "It's just... he's my dad, you know? And it hurts that he said all that. I never thought he would be so critical of Draco... and certainly not my children."

            "I don't blame you," Nicole replied, taking a sip of her butterbeer. "But the guy isn't worth your time; seriously. At least you have your mother now. And I'm sure everyone else has your back too."

            Audrey picked at her salad, not even in the mood to eat. "I know... things just aren't getting any easier, you know..."

            The girl was right. Every time she turned around, she had something else to deal with. Although the girl knew she needed to keep her wits about her and remain calm, she was beginning to wonder if that was possible. For the child's sake, Audrey was doing her best to stay composed and happy. It was becoming something she struggled with every day. After all, with Death Eaters on the loose, her father disowning her, coupled with everything else, she was certain she wasn't sane anymore.

            When Audrey looked back up from her food, she saw Nicole watching her with an intense stare. "What?" she asked.

            "Don't give me that," Nicole sassed. "You don't need to be stressed out all the damn time, especially over things you have no control over. Think about the baby."

            "Believe me, I am," Audrey assured. "That's the only reason I haven't been shipped off to St. Mungo's."

            Nicole didn't speak for a few moments. "Have you told Molly yet?"

            Audrey shook her head. "Haven't had the chance to. You haven't let it slip to her yet?"

            "Nope," Nicole replied, a smile on her face. "I'm not going to tell her. And I don't think anyone else will either. But you know she's going to make it a big deal. It'll be like... her first kind of grandbaby." She paused for a moment. "I mean... She'll be just as excited as Narcissa and your mom."

            Nicole had a good point. Molly had become like another mother to her, and the girl had honestly surprised herself by not telling her yet. Audrey knew sooner or later she was going to have to tell the Weasleys, and with the way things were going, the sooner the better. "I know, I know," Audrey replied. "Maybe I'll head over there after lunch and see her."

            "She'd love that!" Nicole exclaimed, taking a bite from one of her French fries. "She's been talking about you nonstop since class has been out. Molly is surprised you haven't stopped by yet."

            Audrey shrugged, sitting her fork down on the napkin next to her plate. "Just been busy with everything else, I guess. Dealing with our parents mostly, but Draco also has been trying to find himself a job-"

            "-a job?" Nicole interjected. "Where at?"

            Audrey took a deep breath, wondering where she should begin. "Well, he's trying multiple places," she started. "He's applied to the Ministry, he's trying to contact a few Quidditch teams... he didn't do well enough on his exams to get a job at St. Mungo's..."

            Nicole dropped her fork. "What teams has he tried? It would be amazing if they let him play! We could go to the games!"

            Audrey shrugged, honestly not sure where Draco had inquired. He and Artemis had been at it for a few days, making visits to different places, filling out applications... Audrey had lost track of how many places the boys had gone. "I have no idea."

            "I'm sure one of them will let him at least try out," Nicole said positively. "He was one of the better seekers; I would argue maybe even the best. I mean Harry was good too- but he lost to Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. I don't think you Slytherins ever lost to Hufflepuff."

            The brunette girl thought about it silently for a moment. A lot of the Quidditch games blurred together in her head. She remembered winning some games, and she remembered losing a few as well. It was just a matter of which ones. "I don't think we did, but I could be very wrong," she finally answered.

            "Well wrong or not, any team that doesn't let him attempt is stupid," Nicole went on. "I've seen many worse Quidditch players signed."

            "All I know is that I hope one does," Audrey sighed. "I know he would be happier playing Quidditch than sitting in an office at the Ministry, especially seeing how corrupt it is."

            "Tell me about it," Nicole muttered, at the same time she realized she had finished all her food. "I think any of us would."

            Audrey looked down at her own plate, realizing she too had finished off her meal. She went to go reach into her pocket, but Nicole stopped her. The girl's friend stood, reaching into her pocket in the process. Nicole tossed a few Galleons on the table, enough to cover their bill and a tip.

            "I'm actually going to be heading back to the Burrow if you wanted to tag along," Nicole invited. "I'm sure Molly won't mind the company."

            Audrey stood, stretching slightly in the process. "I suppose I could. I mean... I told Draco I would be probably gone all day. Plus he's out with Artemis again, so..."

            Nicole smiled. "Good. I can think of a few people who really want to see you."

            The girls walked out of the Leaky Cauldron together, and almost immediately, Audrey knew something wasn't quite right. When they had arrived at the pub not but an hour ago, the skies had been bright; now a dark mass of clouds loomed overhead. Audrey didn't recall there being rain in the forecast, but that didn't mean anything. Of course it didn't help that any time there was foul weather at school something bad happened- dementors, Death Eaters... Regardless to that, Audrey was sure something was amiss.

            "What the hell?" Nicole asked, looking up into the sky.

            "Yea, that's what I'm saying," Audrey mumbled in agreement. "Shall we Apparate before things get ugly?"

            "Yes please!"

            Audrey and Nicole linked arms, and before she knew it, Audrey felt herself go through the agonizing feeling of Apparation. The process normally made the girl feel sick, and now all that was intensified with the pregnancy. When she felt her feet hit the ground once again, Audrey was relieved. The girl saw the Burrow in front of her, only the skies were still dark. She took a deep breath, preparing herself to see her adopted family, and hoping that nothing sinister was awaiting in the near future.