9- MORE Revelations!!!

Chapter 9

 Cassidy

White walls... The unmistakable smell of disinfectants, cleaning stuff and alcohol... My head hurts sooooo much. And this is not my bed. Where the hell am I??? I blinked thrice before my eyes could take in my surroundings. No it can’t be. I’m in a hospital room?  No...I remember being at home. I was in the kitchen...Peaches. I was eating peaches. Wait... There is something I’m missing out on. There was someone there with me.

Staring at the ceiling, I tried to fumble through my memories, hoping I could remember who it was.

“Cass. You’re awake! You’ve been asleep for three weeks straight now! Thank God you’re okay.” Good grief, there was someone else with me in the room.

Caleb? I know Caleb’s voice... There’s no mistaking it. What was he doing here? Oh yeah right! Now I remember. It was Caleb that was there with me... He visited me. Yes. Caleb... He was with me before I felt that familiar darkness... So maybe that means, Caleb knows what happened to me.

“Cal?” I turned my head towards the direction of his voice. My eyes were as wide as saucers. Oh God. He looked so........

“What? What’s the matter???” Surprised by my likewise stunned reaction, he quickly moved closer to my side; which made my heart beat faster than it already has been.

“Nothing.” Then I averted my gaze from him. What are you doing Cass?? Pull yourself together! This is so not the time to be fantasizing about someone who’s not your boyfriend. Hell, he’s even your ex-best friend! Snap out of it! And fortunately, I sort of listened to my inner voice.

I mentally counted to five before looking at him again. This is not the time to be modest or self-conscious anyway. Especially now that I still don’t recall exactly everything that happened.  Trying to get up so bad from my lying position, Caleb immediately went even closer and held me in place.

“Stop moving so much if you don’t want all of your precious blood to be sucked into the IV tubes!” I felt his rough hands clasp around both my wrists and I finally gave in. Jeez! I was just trying to sit! Am I not allowed to do even that?

Suddenly, out of nowhere, his face was inches away from mine. Then the automatic response came. Ping...ping... ping. If it was possible to make my heart beat faster, it was doing just that now. I know, I am supposed to be mad at him. Who wouldn’t be? He kept ignoring me for a year, and now he just pops up out of nowhere, acting like some uber worried boyfriend. DUH.

“Why are you staring at me like that? Stop it. You’re freaking me out!” Maybe, he realized just how foolish he looked like then... Finally, I was freed from the intensity of those gorgeous eyes of his. Wait! Since when did I become this perverted? Ack. Speaking of perverted, where the hell was my boyfriend? And... Did I hear Cal mention ‘three weeks’ a while ago?

“Ohmigosh! Where is my boyfriend? Shouldn’t he be here instead of YOU?” I emphasized the ‘you’ to show him how much I did not need him. Well, sort of, but...hello? I actually have a boyfriend who’s supposed to take care of me. Haven’t I?

“About your boyfriend...He was here a week ago. Well. He was here for a couple of days. The guy kept waiting for you to wake up.” His expression looked pained from the question I just shot him. “And yeah, I am very sorry that I am here instead of HIM. Because...that...that guy...was”

“CASSSSSSIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!” A tiny girl with an outfit as cute as her came barging into the room. Annie’s high-pitched voice had invaded our conversation. Then she stopped halfway to my bed.  She looked at me, then at Caleb, then back at me. The puzzled look on her face was so obvious; I had to stifle a laugh.