Giloona

It was lunch time at Monster High, and it was an awfully more calm one than normal. That was odd, because at a school full of teenage monsters, almost everyday was an adventure. But today wasn't. Outside, the sun burned hot and bright in a cloudless blue sky- a much disliked weather amongst most of the students- so almost all of the student body was indoors. Guys and ghouls were sitting at lunch tables in the cafeteria, talking quietly amongst themselves. They sat at tables and stretched out on beanbags in the library to read and study. They sat in hushed concentration, trying to beat the opposition in a chess game. The closest thing to a sport that anyone was doing was taking leisurely walks around school halls. The few students who were outside, sat peacefully under green-leafed oak trees, or sunbathed by the pool. Lagoona Blue, a sea monster, was part of the minority who actually preferred sunny days to overcast ones. On this particular day, she could be found lounging sleepily on the tall lifeguard chair, sporting a retro one-suit and oversized sunglasses. Her boyfriend, Gillington Webber, more commonly known as "Gil", was swimming lazy laps of backstroke in the pool below her. Days like this were a particular favourite of the couple, for it wasn't just their favourite weather, but because it was nice to have more privacy at the pool than usual. After a few moments, Gil had disappeared from the water. Lagoona, doing a terrible job at life-guarding, didn't realise until it was too late. She yelped as her whole body went flying forward and down, making her sunglasses fall into the pool and her body hit the water on a painful angle.

Damn it Gil. I will never get those sunnies back!

From underwater, Lagoona could hear Gil's muffled laugh. The laughing became much more clear as her head emerged by the side of the pool, and she grasped her boyfriend's ankle, exacting her revenge. Gil's eyes widened in surprise as he too was flung into the air, but he managed to assume a bomb position and rocketed downwards into the depths. With an eye-roll, Lagoona dived down to meet him. The Monster High pool was unlike any other pool, it connected to the ocean through a series of narrow tunnels, and was deeper than any ocean trench there was, you could never hope to reach the bottom. Underwater, both Gil and Lagoona's eye sight sharpened, and their talking and breathing became easier. It was their natural habitat after all. Lagoona spied Gil swim away through a tunnel, and followed him. She hadn't gone through this tunnel as much as she had some of the others, because it didn't lead to open ocean, instead, it lead to a series of sea caves. Gil smiled as Lagoona caught up to him, but his expression soon turned to a pained one as she punched him in the shoulder.

"Hey!" He said, rubbing the spot where her fist had made contact.

"Those were expensive sunglasses! Now they're lost forever" Said an angry Lagoona.

Gil just laughed at his girlfriend's materialism, and continued swimming.

"I'll get you new ones! I promise, but follow me, I found something pretty amazing the other day and I think you'll want to see it."

That's what was so cool about dating a water-monster such as herself, they could share this magical underwater world, a world that none of her friends would ever be able to understand. It was a whole other realm, one that Gil loved just as much as she did. Lagoona followed Gil through a plethora of dark, narrow tunnels, hoping that he would remember the way back. Finally, after squeezing through the tightest tunnel yet, the entered a huge, light sea cavern. Looking up, she could see that there was a small shore, an air pocket to hang out at. But that didn't interest her as much as it usually would've, because 15 metres below her, was a gargantuan arrangement of what looked like giant crystals. Lagoona then realised why she could see so well in a place that should be almost pitch black. The crystals were glowing. They were glowing with a purple light so bright they lit up the whole cavern, it was as bright in here as it had been outside. Each crystal was casting a beam of ghostly, iridescent purple straight up through the water. The whole place looked like a jungle of magenta bamboo.

Lagoona took a few more speechless moments to observe the wonder around her, then turned to face Gil.

"Gil! Why haven't you taken me here before?! It's beautiful! It's beyond beautiful..."

Gil laughed, but in his eyes was a soft, warm look of affection. Admiration. Adoration. Lagoona returned that look and the sense of an electric shock consumed them both. This happened sometimes when they made eye contact, they would fall into a strange state of mind, where only they existed in time. They didn't express it as much as some of the other couples at MH did, but they both really did love each other.

Shaking out of the trance, Gil swarm downwards, towards the crystalline figures. Lagoona followed suit.

"I discovered this place a while back, and thought I could bring you here for a surprise on our anniversary, but I don't know, I just felt like I should show you now" Gil's face then turned thoughtful, "although I guess that means I'll have to think up something new for our anniversary."

Lagoona shook her head in disbelief as she ran her blue hand down the smooth, glassy surface of one of the crystals, it was the same width as her body and almost twice as tall.

"It's enchanting" she grinned.

Gil just watched as Lagoona swam in between crystals. Spinning and diving, flipping and gliding. Gil watched her whole face light up as she beheld them, their beauty almost inconceivable for her. They were unfathomable, and yet so real, so present. As Gil thought these things, he realised that the way Lagoona felt about the crystals, was similar to the way he felt about her. His face lit up when he beheld her. Her beauty was inconceivable to him. She was unfathomable, yet she was here, really here with him. He could no longer help it, and to Lagoona's surprise, but also to her great delight, Gil had suddenly and randomly kissed her. He cupped her face in his hands as Lagoona's hands rested on his chest. The kiss was sweet, warm and passionate all at once.

That feeling of time stopping all around them, washed over them once more.