Chapter 41

Klaus pov:

Caroline and I had returned to my room and the moment the door closed she started lustfully kissing me. I kissed her back returning her intensity until I realized she was just trying to distract herself. I knew that she would run if I asked so I whooshed us to the bed. Still kissing her, I pulled her to my lap, my hands closed around her waist fingers interlocked so she couldn't get up. "Love, why have you never told me about what happened with Stefan?" She looked in my eyes for a few moments before she spoke so softly that my supernatural hearing barley heard her. "Because I didn't want you to kill him."

"Love, it's justifiable that you don't want him to die, he was your best friend for years. The hardest part of betrayal is dealing with the memories of the good time, and the realization that someone who can bring you so much happiness can't tear everything you know away." She planted a gentle kiss on my lips. "What was that for?"

"Sometime I forget how much heartbreak you've been through."

"I'm alright love, time heals most wounds, now don't go changing the subject."

"I didn't want to tell you because at first I  didn't want you to kill him but then I was enjoying myself so much I honestly would forget until someone mentioned his name. Who told you?"

"I might have eavesdropped on a conversation Enzo and Damon were having and it was one of the things they talked about." We were both silent for a while. "Love, I'm sorry you had to go through that alone. I should have been there to protect you." She kindly brought her hand to my face "I know if you were here that it wouldn't have happened but that doesn't make it your fault. Plus I wasn't alone. I had Enzo, Rebekah and surprisingly Kol. The first week after it happened, I would lay in my bed all day , Kol stayed with me, he made sure I feed. He turned Stefan and Elena away when they came to explain that it wasn't his fault because he had been feeding on human blood."

"I'll have to remember to thank my brother for taking such good care of you. But why doesn't it matter that he had fallen off the wagon so to speak?" She took a deep breath and with the most melancholy face I've ever seen she said "that's just it, he was himself that is the vampire Stefan. It's our nature to drink from humans he turned into what he really is when he drink human blood. It would have been different if he had turned off his humanity. I would still be angry but eventually I would have been able to forgive him." I knew that some of the things she had said of Stefan could also be said of me. "Nik don't think like that you became that kind of monster to protect yourself from being hurt again."

"How do you know what I was thinking?"

"Cuz I know you, you're my guy and that's how you think. Also we are still bonded remember" she answered with a smile.

I kissed her cheek stood and whooshed to the closet, "Caroline, love" I yelled "I have a gift for you" I added. "Oh! I love gifts" she exclaimed. "I know" I replayed sarcastically entering the room with a large painting in my hands. It was similar to the first piece of my art she had seen, but now that little boy wasn't so little, he was now grown but still reaching his hand out to be held  this time for a women who held his hand back. "This is us. You were the little boy in the painting."

"Yes love, but you already knew that." Tear rolled down her face. "Caroline? What's wrong" I asked worried. "Nothing I'm just so blessed to be the woman who gets to love the man that boy grew up to be."

"And he is lucky to have such a magnificent women love him in return" I informed her.