Two

On the plane, I discovered the average temperature for Anchorage was 25 degrees in March. Yet, it was unseasonably warm with an average of 37 degrees this year. I was still pretty sure that I hadn't packed enough warm clothes and, if it came to it, I would have to do some dreaded shopping when we landed.

The plane touched down and we were met by our usual escorts. An FBI agent that I had never met and some local police that seemed to think we were intruding. However, most locals seemed to think we were intruding. I had come to expect it, even if I still didn't understand it.

There was snow on the ground. I instantly felt my feet get cold. This was psychological, not physical. I don't like the cold and my distaste for it seems to make it that much worse.

"I'm US Marshal Gabriel Henders and this is my SCT Unit--Lucas McMichaels, Xavier Reece, Michael Giovanni, and Aislinn Cain."

"I'm Special Agent Fred Arons and this is the head of the State Police, Commander Brian Neilsen. Where do you want to go first?"

"How fresh is the crime scene?" Gabriel asked.

"Found her yesterday morning. The body is at the morgue. The scene has been roped off. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be deterring the press much." Commander Neilsen said.

"I'll deal with them," Gabriel nodded decisively. "Take McMichaels and Cain to the crime scene. Reece can go to the morgue. Giovanni and I will go set up our command post."

Lucas and I were ushered into a waiting SUV. We drove about thirty minutes before we turned off the paved road and onto a well-traveled asphalt path. Another ten minutes and the vehicle stopped.

"Here we are," one of the State Troopers informed us.

"This park, is it state or national?" Lucas asked.

"State." The trooper told him.

"Have they all been found in state parks?"

"Yes. We think he's been operating in the state parks to keep the feds out of it. We have our own system up here for that. However, we tried to contact you after the twenty-fourth woman was discovered and you all were busy."

"Sorry," Lucas managed to make it sound heartfelt. I wasn't sure it was genuine, but then Lucas was still full of mysteries and wonder, even after six months.

"The scene is about a mile or so down this path. You'll want to dress warmly, but not too warmly. Mostly cover your feet and legs. The cold will sink into your shoes pretty quickly."

I was way ahead of him. I had already started pulling on snow-boots with good treads that went all the way up to my knees. I grabbed an extra fleece and put it on. This gave me six layers of upper-body protection.

We got out of the SUV and the cold which had been starting to creep out of my bones rushed back into them. I didn't let it show that the cold was bothering me. I kept pace with the taller men, ignoring the protests from my knees and hips. My lifestyle was conducive to permanent joint discomfort.

The walk seemed to take ages. Barren trees covered in icicles and a crunchy snow covered landscape gave the impression of being in a winter wonderland. Hard to believe a dead body had been found here the day before, unless you looked at the ground.

The hard, crunchy snow was covered in footprints. Some of them were dirty, some clean, some buried under others, it looked like hundreds of people had come and gone down this path. My own snow-boots were leaving impressions as we continued forward, my footsteps falling in the impressions being left by Lucas's shoes. There were already enough prints without adding mine. So I carefully walked in Lucas's. His feet were almost twice the size of mine, making it easy.