Prologue

"I fucking hate you!" You shout as your brother throws your phone down the stairs. You slide down the banister but your hand only skims the side of the Apple device. "Ben! That was my new phone!" You shout up the stairs as the screen shatters upon impact with the hardwood flooring.

"(Your name) language!" Your mother shouts as you run up the stairs and into you little brother's room.

"I don't care mum!" You shout back as you hold your brother in a headlock.

"Mum! (Your name) is hurting me!" Ben shouts as he kicks his legs. You hear the sound of heels coming up the stairs and your mum is standing in the doorway, still in her pant suit.

"(Your name) stop hurting your little brother! You're grounded. Go to your room!" You stare at the woman you have to call 'mom' in disbelief.

"Your seriously doing this to me?" You ask as Ben wriggles out of your grasp.

"You've deserved it." Your mum pushes her blonde hair out of her face. "Now, go to your room and keep the noise down, I've got to finish this report."

"Yes, because what you do is most important!" You shout, advancing on her and pulling a line from your favourite movie to use next.

"Aca-scuse me?" Your mum asks, your entire family watched Pitch Perfect together as soon as it came out.

"Aca believe it! You're a bitch and I'm ashamed to call you mum!" You push past her and you're sure you heard the sound of a heel click and a rough muttering of 'these were brand new!' And the reply of 'don't worry mum, she can buy you new ones.'

You flop onto your bed and pull the picture of you and your dad out from under your pillow. He was the man that told you to stay true to your heart, he was the man who made your favourite word 'paraphernalia' and he was the man who introduced you to the arts and the most important part of those arts: a capella. He passed three months earlier, he had come down with cancer of the heart and there was nothing you or anyone could do about it. He personally asked to talk to you privately before he requested his life support to be shut off, he was the man who opened your heart.

***

A fifteen year old sits beside your dad, who is slowly dying. This fifteen year old is you. He was the only one who understood you and now he was going to a special place, one you wish to join someday soon. Because without him, your life wouldn't be worth living.

"Doctor am I able to speak to (Your name) alone?" He asks as you grip his hand tighter. The doctor nods and turns to your mother and brother who were sitting at a chair. Ben playing with the trim of your mum's dress. They stand up and walk out of the room, leaving you and your dad to talk.

"(Your name) follow your heart. What would life be without one right?" You're already tearing up at his words. "When I met your mother I saw the blonde estate agent she is. But when I look at you I see so much more. You're not your mother, you're not me. You're unique. You have the courage to wear clashing colours, wear your hair in the style Cara Delvinge wears it that no one else can pull off. You (Your name) are neither me or your mother okay?" You nod at his words, however much your mascara is running down your cheeks. "You were destined for great things. Hell, you dyed your hair blue in order to protest about the school changing their colours to bright pink." You smile at the memories. "You go and live your life. I'll always be there, right in your heart." He guides your hand over the spot on your chest. "I'll always love you. Wherever I am. Just do me one thing." You nod, unable to keep the tears from flowing freely down your, now, black cheeks. He tucks your brown hair with blonde highlights behind your ear. Taking time to re adjust the silver chain around your neck. "Don't be afraid, you're meant to be different. If your mother tells you whatever charity work your doing is rubbish and taking time from studying. Tell her it's you life and she should just fuck off!"

"Dad, I can't do this life without you." You place your head by his heart, which is beating extremely slowly. "I don't want to be here if you're not."

He sighs. "Suicide is never the answer (Your name)." He has his own tears flowing now. "Ben is a clone of your mother. You're... You're the answer to the world's prayers, (Your name)." He smiles. "Now, do us all a favour and press that switch," he tilts his head towards the life support. The doctor walks in.

"Any last requests?" He asks your dad.

"Yes, that my daughter is the one to do it." He smiles at you, takes his wedding ring off and opens your palm placing it inside. "If you wear this I'll always be with you." You take the chain off from around your neck and slip the ring onto it before re clasping the trinket.

"I'll never forget you dad, you're the one who saved me. I hope I'll make you proud." He shakes his head.

"(Your name) even if you end up working in Walmart I'll be proud. You know why?" You shake your head. "Because I have you to call my daughter." He closes his eyes and lays back down on the pillow, nodding his head once.

"It's time." The doctor smiles sympathetically at you. Nodding and still holding your dad's hand, you reach up and press the switch. You wrap your arms around his body as the low tone beep echoes through the room. That was the day you effectively killed your dad, it was also the day your mum and brother began blaming you that he died so young.

***

Still hugging a pillow, you let a few clear tears drop onto the laminated photo from when you met your idols Anna Kendrick and Brittany Snow in London. Your father was the guy who promised to take you to the premiere of Pitch Perfect 2 in New York. Now along with your family, that fantasy is down the drain. You sit up and look out of the window, a single shooting star flying across the sky.

"I wish I was at Barden University in Pitch Perfect." As your dad always said, stay true to your heart.