Another Adventure

He came late that evening.

                I had spent my day either sleeping it away or trying to recall the night before. My memory grew hazy after I entered the room for the dare. I could remember parts of what happened. But there was a wall at one point and I couldn’t remember anything past it no matter how hard I tried.

                I could only hope that my hero would be able to recall more than I could.

                I was lying in my bed, now wide awake from my day of nothing. The room was dark, the moonlight flooding in. Like my grandmother had predicted, there were little clouds blocking the sky this evening.

                A soft tapping on my window caught my attention. I rolled over on the bed to face it, awaiting his entrance.

                The tapping repeated, but no figure appeared in the window to open it. I frowned slightly, getting off the bed and walking to the window.

                I pressed my face to the glass, glancing down.

                He stood on the ground, motioning for me to come down. My eyes moved around to the neighboring homes searching for any suspicious activity.

                He didn’t seem to be concerned about any others in the area.

                Glancing back down at the boy on my lawn, I bit my lip before opening the window. I stuck my head out into the cold air feeling goose bumps rise on my skin.

                “What are you doing down there?” I hissed as loudly as I dared to.

                He motioned for me to come to him, “Come down here!”

                “Why?”

                “Trust me.”

                I hesitated a moment before pulling my head back into the warmth of my house. Closing the window once more, I changed into thicker sweats and a jacket. I left the house as silently as I could without waking my grandmother.

                I crossed my arms as I stepped back into the chilly weather. The masked man directed me to where his motorcycle rested propped against my tree.

                I grimaced uncomfortably.

                “Really?”

                He pulled it off, straddling the seat. “Get on.”
                “Can’t we just stay here tonight?” I wasn’t the biggest fan of riding a motorcycle and especially spiteful of it in the cold November air.

                “We always stay here.” He shook his head, patting the small open area behind him, “Get on, Avery.”    

                I did as instructed, wrapping my arms around his waist. I buried my head in his back to shield my body from as much of the wind as possible as he started the engine, rolling out onto the actual road. While it served as little protection from the cold, it was better than nothing.

                It seemed to be longer than the first time to get to his secret hide out. While he did nothing to prevent me from watching the roads, I kept my eyes closed from the cold the entire time. The harsh, brittle air whipped past me uncomfortably. He didn’t seem to be affected by this as much as I was. It wasn’t fair.