God of War

"You fucking bastard, you lied to my face!"

"You call it lying, I call it keeping Mika safe."

"Hand over my wife."

"She's not your wife and further more I'm going to need you to lower your voice, Mika's trying to sleep."

"Is that right? So, you two playing house? You're fucking my wife?"

"What if I am? Does it make you angry?"

"Do you think this is a game? Do you know what I can do to you?"

"I'd love to see you try. And for the record, Mika's my woman. You want to do something about it, we can have it out man-to-man right here and now. Your choice."

"You won't live to regret those words." I watch Jett back away and circle down to his fancy sports car and drive away. I snort and close the door only to find Mika standing at attention.

"It's okay Mika."

"I'm not afraid. But what are we going to do about Jett? He just threatened you."

"He'll be back and when he does, we'll be ready. For now, let's get some more sleep."

~~~

Who the hell did this fool think he was messing with? Oh, there are so many ways to take this fool out that he wouldn't see coming. Yeah, we'll handle this man to man alright. Just you wait and see. Mika, Mika, Mika, your betrayal just keeps stacking up. The price you'll pay is enormous. I don't know what I should do to you first. You divorce me and sully my reputation then run, you kill my only son and now you're fucking some Casper looking prick! The fuck you think you doing?

I have nothing but space and opportunity on my side. This little prick did me a favor by living where no one can hear him scream. I'll have this cabin scoped out by nightfall and we'll see who will be begging on their knees for their life to be spared. He'll know without a doubt that I'm god. I choose who lives and who dies.

~~~

"You can't be serious Thanatos!"

"As a heart attack. Jett will return tonight and I need you to do exactly as I say."

"You could get hurt, or worse, killed."

"Have you forgotten my training, Mika?"

"No. I just don't want you to get hurt because of me. I'm the one who drug you into all this."

"You didn't do anything, it was my choice. Now, are you going to stick to the plan?"

"But-"

"Mika...I'm counting on you. I promise this won't take long. Trust me."

"Okay, okay."

"Jett only has two ways to approach, from the side or from the front, where I found you. You do your part and all of this will be behind us."

I nod. My heart is racing because I don't know what will happen. I don't bother trying to eat as I know nothing will stay down. Thanatos is moving about his day as usual. He even went out to chop firewood and cleared the porch free of snow that wrapped around the cabin.

And we wait.

"This is driving me crazy."

"Patience is a part of the job. I'll have to teach you that later on."

"This is not one of your missions Thanatos."

"Yes, it is. My mission is to keep you safe by any means necessary." He looks into my eyes and I catch his meaning. I exhale and reposition myself on the couch. I'm as antsy as a bug caught in a spider's web. Thanatos exits the kitchen and sits beside me tugging me closer to his face. "Relax." He kisses my lips and smirks back. I lean on his shoulder and doze off.

By the time I awake, I'm curled up on the couch and Thanatos is nowhere in sight. The cabin is eerily quiet. I check all the room and find them empty. I pull back the curtains to find an empty porch. I even check the garage and his truck is still parked. I start up from the basement skipping two steps at a time until I round the corner to head back into the living room, but was stopped as a large hand clamp around my throat.

"Mika, funny meeting you here."

"Let me go Jett."

"Nah, I don't think so. You have a lot of sins that you've yet to repent of."

"I said, let me go!" I punch him in the throat and land a blow to his inner thigh. I didn't stay to watch him stumble or fall against the wall. I run straight for the door as fast footsteps beat in my ear. Damn him, he recovers fast. I throw open the door and slide rock star style onto the porch. Thanatos rounds the entrance ready to catch Jett. He snatches him by the lapels of his leather jacket and tosses him over the wood railing into deep snow. I watch him hop over and down into the snow as Jett scurries to his feet.

"You're going to pay with your life!"

"I've been waiting to rip you to shreds, so come on, make my night."

They trade jabs, and Jett scrapes his knuckles against Thanatos' jaw.

"Yeah, who's the bitch now?"

Thanatos grins, "It's yet to be determined, pussy."

"The fuck?"

Thanatos is toying with Jett, pissing him off, allowing him to become over confident. Jett's bound to make a mistake. And sure enough, he did. Thanatos rushes him, knocks him down and begins to beat his face in. Blood begins to trickle from his nose and bled into pristine white snow. There's a gash just beneath his right cheek and his eyes look like they are beginning to cloud over. Jett was beaten to a pulp, I don't even think he has the capacity to move. Jett looks up at me and blinks as his head sinks into the snow. Thanatos is standing over Jett's body with bloody fists heaving in the crisp night air.

"Call the police Mika." He shouts up at me. "And here's another rule, never take your eye of the enemy, even if he looks beaten."

I run inside and complete the call. Not long after, sirens can be heard approaching in the distance. Once police cars rested near the cabin, I was implored to give my statement from start to finish. Thanatos stayed beside me the whole time. As I wrapped up my statement, paramedics wheeled Jett's body past and I was flooded with relief. I won't have to run from him anymore. I'm sure he'll be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law when he's taken back to Portland. There's no way he's getting off scot-free this time.