[Sonic] The Pain of Saying Goodbye (Re-publish)

[This can be taken either way: Sonadow or friendship]

I was running, the wind hitting my face hard. I didn't know where I was going, but my feet seemed to take a mind of their own as I sped through forests and over hills. My heart kept the beat of my feet hitting the ground.

Something was on my mind, though I didn't know what. My brain was trying to think, but I wouldn't allow that, not now at least. The last thing I need is to think. I just focussed on the path my feet were taking me.

I don't know what made me stop. Perhaps, it was an image of my friends or what I was leaving behind. As soon as I stopped, my mind started to race faster than my own super sonic speed. I will never forgive myself for what happened to my best buddy, Tails, just yesterday...

He's dead... and it's all my fault...

I didn't think Egghead had it in him. He broke Tails' plane and that sent him flying towards the ground in a massive explosion...

" I could've saved you Tails..." I murmured as I sat down on the cool grass. "I'm sorry..."

"You couldn't have saved him" a voice said behind me. "It's not your fault."

I didn't have to turn around; I knew the voice well. "I could've saved him."

"No, you couldn't have." He said, sitting beside me.

"How do you know! You weren't even there! How would you even know how I feel!?" I yelled.

He was silent. I instantly regretted yelling. He does know how I feel, for he lost a friend a long time ago.

"I'm sor-"

"No. Don't you dare start that 'I'm sorry' bullcrap." He interrupted. "You know that I know exactly how you feel, whether you like it or not."

My ears went down. He knows exactly how I feel... I wouldn't dare mention the name of his friend, for he would have somewhat of a brake down... they had the close sibling bond that Tails and me had. I really don't know exactly what happened... he never really told anyone.
We just sat there, neither of us looking at each other. I looked at the sunset. He looked at it too, still not even glancing at me.

I just kept my eyes on the Sun, it's beautiful rays of purple, red, and orange coloring the sky. Memories of Tails flooded my mind. I miss my little buddy so much...

He must've noticed my tears because he sighed and wrapped an arm around me. Then he said, "It'll be okay..."

I was really surprised. He doesn't usually express feelings or comfort... This is really the first time I've ever seen him show anything other than hatred.

Of course at the time, I didn't pay any attention to that, for I was already broken down in tears.

"He didn't deserve to die!" I cried.

He hugged me tight and rubbed my back supportively. "Shh... It's okay... I know he didn't, but things happen for a reason..."

I buried my face into his soft chest fur, and cried my heart out. He didn't stop me. He just comforted me.

I wondered why he was being so nice, but then I remembered that he went through something like me... but he was never comforted when he cried over her. He never was told that it would be okay. I suddenly felt sorrow for the one I called my rival.

I hugged him and, in a whisper, asked him, "Do you miss her?"

He hesitated slightly, but soon hugged me back and answered, "Every day of my life."

"How... How do you live without her...?"

"I don't... I visit the ARK every day and go to her room... I cry... I remember the times we shared."

"Does it still hurt?"

"... Yes..."

I stayed quiet after that. He has been through so much pain... but he was never comforted... he was always rejected by most... Rouge and Omega are probably his only friends...

No... I can't call him my rival... After what he just did... He's...
My friend...

"Shadow...?"

He looked at me with questioning eyes. "Yes?"

I hesitated before saying something I thought I'd never say to him... "Thank you."

He stared at me with eyes that Shadow was great at making. You could never tell what he was thinking. That's why I really hate those eyes... So many secrets, so many feelings hidden behind them, and the stubborn owner of those eyes wouldn't dare let them show.

I frowned. He hasn't replied. Is he surprised? Wondering what he should say next? Lost in thoughts? He started to stand. I should do something... but what?

I hugged him. "Please say something... I don't want you to leave now..."

"Sonic..." He said my name... It's been forever since I last heard him do that...

"Why...?" He continued. "Why don't you want me to leave? Wouldn't you rather talk to your friends?"

"You're the only one who understands me... and besides," I smiled at him. "you are my friend."

Then, something extraordinary happened...

Shadow the Hedgehog smiled...

I stared at him with surprise and disbelief before I let out a smile of my own. We smiled at each other for a while until we both looked back at the almost darkened sky.

That night brought a new friendship between us filled with friendly competitions and few fights. I still don't go a day without remembering my little buddy, but I know he's looking after me. How do I know? Well...

He brought Shadow there that night to comfort me...