14 / wait

" I'm on fire when I'm singing, I'm completely in character, I use my sense memories, and every syllable of it is meant. It's a very special thing."
- Sinead O'Connor

Dedication

[ justanotherpixie ] because you voted

• • • •

Andrew's heart was beating as he stepped into the school where the competition was being held. Inside of this school, he would finally see her, his little star pupil. They have been chatting on the phone for two weeks now. He never thought about what she looked like, no, he didn't want to raise the expectation so high.

But Andrew wondered if she'd ever wondered what he'd look like. If she ever did, he bet she'd be slightly disappinted. She was probably imagining a blue-eyed, blonde hair guy with six packs and huge muscles. But low and behold, he was half Asian; Korean, in fact.

Although he was a real, authentic Korean, he'd never been to Korea before. Instead, he had been living with his grandparents in England ever since young. He'd lived most of his life being teased for being an Asian.

But being Asian was nothing to be shameful about, right?

So instead of a blue-eyed, blonde haired guy who had muscles and six packs, she would instead see a squinty-eyed, black haired Asian with only one lousy pack.

After the usual phone call yesterday, Andrew actually thought about not showing up. After all, they were still complete strangers. He'd spoken to his coworker, Lukas, about this. Lukas was a funny guy; confident and positive. A bit too curious, at times. He'd told Andrew to go for it.

Lukas had said, "If you have such strong feelings for her, why ignore?" Even Nicholas, Lukas's new mentee, encouraged him to go.

And now he was here, standing in the school that would be the place where both of them would meet each other. This will be a very memorable place for me, Andrew thought.

He walked down the corridor, then turned left into the auditorium. As soon as he opened the door, he realized how big a crowd she was going to perform to. Many people were parents, siblings, teachers, friends, and even grandparents.

Andrew's heart beat faster. Will he see her here? He walked to the back of the room and leaned against the wall. He would just have to wait.

• • • •

When the competition started, Andrew still hadn't spotted her anywhere yet. Maybe she was backstage?

"Good evening, fellow friends, teachers, and parents," the emcee spoke. "Welcome to the Vocal Challenge 2016!"

Everybody cheered.

"Today we have many contestants waiting to showcase their talent! First up, let's welcome Mark Lee!"

Everybody cheered once again, then quietened down.

After some of the singers performed, Andrew realized what she had to go up against. These singers acted like professionals. His star pupil only had two weeks of training!

"- now let's welcome Tiana Grace!"

Andrew shifted his attention to the stage. A girl with blonde, shoulder-length hair, blue eyes and a fair complexion walked up on to the stage. She was wearing a simple, white knee-length dress.

Tiana bowed, then smiled confidently as music started playing through the speakers. As soon as she began to sing, Andrew's eyes widened. It was her. Tiana. He immediately fell in love with her voice. It was beautiful, mesmerising, unique. She was doing everything he taught her to do, from posture to song choice.

His star pupil was a miracle. His star pupil was a singer.

• • • •

"Now that all the contestants have sung, let's give a little time to the judges to make their decision," the emcee informed.

A little time? All the contestants were still backstage. Andrew guessed they only come out once the prizes are given.

"I'll wait for you," he whispered, "Tiana."