Happily Ever After

The Day Before Prom

Mallory's mom pulls her from school at lunch. It's crunch time and she still doesn't have a thing to wear. Three days in a row they had tried several outlet stores and a bridal shop without finding anything Mallory found remotely acceptable.

Today they're going on a trip to a local prom designer who Mallory's mom had called; they had sworn they still had dresses in her size and price range.  Mallory walks into the store eyes down and palms sweating. She heads directly to the clearance rack and looks for something that would blend in with a crowd. Nothing fits her idea of what a prom dress should be. Comfortable, stylish, and classically beautiful.

Her mom pulls a few dresses off the racks and Mallory sulks her way to the dressing room with a promise to be open minded. The very first dress fits like it was made for her. Mallory stares in the mirror and a tear falls from her eye. It's white with a metallic type sheen, a small amount of beading, and the illusion of feathers ingrained in the fabric. It's floor length but doesn't scrape when she walks. With a small heel she could totally pull it off. She twirls and frowns at herself. She's being a total girl. This is a friendzone date. No more, no less. She scolds her stained reflection in the tri-paneled mirror.

Cool your jets invisible princess, it's a dress, not a magic wand.

She removes the dress without showing it to her mom. She can't take the gushing and the look on her mom's face thinking this is a real date. On the way home they grab shoes and a bag and Mallory scours the shelves for basic coverage make up. Tonight would be a YouTube tutorial binge. She can't seem to help the giddiness creeping in below the surface. The more she tries to stifle it, the more she imagines her and Trevor dancing arm in arm. Even if it is the friendzone, it's a fairytale come true for a girl who lives in the shadows.

Prom Day!

Mallory hands her mom another tissue and tries to focus her vision which is now a series of flashing circles from the thousand flashbulbs that her dad has snapped her way. She's finished her hair and makeup and been in her dress for an hour. It's time for Trevor to pick her up. Doubt eats away at her. What if he forgets?What if he thinks she looks horrible? What if Jessica is there and decides she was wrong for turning him down? Her feet begin to lead her back up the stairs seeking the safety of her bedroom when the doorbell rings.

Trevor and his parents come in like a tornado, his mom squealing and gushing with hers. Together they're like a pep squad on caffeine. Trevor groans and she races down the stairs to save him from being alone in the torment.

When she enters the room, silence settles like a blanket. All eyes in the room settle on her and she finds herself unable to find it unnerving. Her eyes scan the room and settle on Trevor whose looks amazing! His tux is black and white, classic, with a bow tie and cumberbun in emerald. His face is bright red and he stands with one foot aimed towards the door, as if ready to bolt. When he looks her way his jaw moves its way southward. 

He steps toward her and shuts his open mouth only to open it again as if trying to remember how to speak. 

"Whoa, Mal. You're beautiful. I mean, you look so, well, I..." Trevor stumbles with his words but his face speaks volumes.

Mallory crosses the room and holds his open hand. She's amazed that his palm is as warm and moist as her own. He trembles as he places the corsage he'd brought tenderly on her wrist. She smiles up at him. "Not bad for an invisible princess, aye?"

Trevor leans in and softly kisses her lips. The air fills with electricity. She knows in that moment what a real life fairy tale is. This. This is it.

They pose for more pictures than should be legally permitted and finally relax in the newly cleaned fresh smelling Black Beauty. Trevor starts the car and pauses to tuck a curl behind Mallory's ear before planting a soft kiss on the hand he hasn't let go of since she stood at his side. He whispers in her ear the words she had dreamt of all year.

"You've never been invisible Mallory. You were just hiding. You aren't the invisible princess, you're the Swan. I've been blind, and stupid. You've been my best friend this whole time, and I've been chasing ghosts."

Mallory closes her eyes and smiles. Fairy tales are so underrated, she thinks, but totally worth believing in.

As the car lurches into gear she laughs. The clouds are puffy and white like her dress, but she is soaring well above their reach. Not too bad, for a swan.

********************************************
While many fairy tales are referenced, this is a spin on the much loved "The Ugly Duckling" by Hans Christian Anderson published in 1844. In my opinion the tale is about seeing the beauty in yourself despite what anyone says or wants you to believe. Sometimes finding out who we are is a surprise that's worth uncovering.

4,840 word count. Written for the "Once Upon Now" fairytale competition. "A classic fairytale or myth written in current times". The contest is sponsored by the awesome Target.

Votes between June 12 and June 21 count as a percentage of the contest. Please take the time to hit the star and give this entry a vote if you think it's worthy.  Thank you.