Wingman

As soon as she pulls out her lunch-bag, Trevor leaves the testosterone pack and slides next to her on the bench in the sun. She glares at him, fully aware that he is about to wreck her day. He hits her with his shoulder and she punches him in the arm at full strength. Rubbing his arm in mock pain he grins sheepishly before saying "Stop it, you're off the hook. I figured it all out! I'm gonna rock it!"

Willing her face to maintain its normal mask of nothingness, because she knows shock or heartbreak would give away her true feelings, she cocks her head and meets his twinkling green eyes. "You figured it out? Promposal?"

He sits back and crosses his legs, putting his arms behind his head with his face toward the sun. Mallory can't help but laugh when he nods and says "Like a boss! It turns out the drama team is doing a retelling of fairy tales. The auditorium is set up to look like an enchanted castle and Kyle says He can slip me in there today after school. He's even setting me up with a Prince Charming outfit and a tiara. It's going to be awesome."

Remain calm Mallory. The first rule of a crisis is to remain calm. Observe, assess, and above all do no harm, be supportive. Fall apart later.

"Today? You're going to do it today? That's insanity. You barely know her. Maybe she's got a castle phobia! Maybe she's planning on being in England that night! Today?" Mallory takes a deep breath and slowly exhales. She has a million reservations about the whole Promposal with a total stranger but she can't help questioning if she's worried for him or just plain old jealous of Jessica.

Trevor nods. "No time like the present. And thanks for the confidence. England. Really? Where's the love, wingman?"

She gives it a half hearted "yay!" Which causes Trevor to bolt upright.

"What? It's great. And romantic. And you said she's crazy if she says no. Besides, girls love fairy tales. I totally got this. It's gonna be epic. I just need you to get Jessica to the auditorium after school, okay?"

Mallory's single bite of sandwich sticks in her throat like cement. "What? I didn't agree to get involved. The agreement was to help you come up with a Promposal idea. And I say send her a pizza with the word 'Prom?' And call it a day. Or better yet, just quietly ask her and avoid the ruckus."

Or, forget Jessica all together and realize your best friend likes you, idiot.

"Come on Mal, I need you. You're my wingman. I can't trust these blockheads for that. Please? I never ask you for anything." Before she can react he grabs half her turkey sandwich and heads to the pack of boys throwing frisbee in the court. She puts the remaining half uneaten sandwich back in her bag and crosses her fingers. As she looks away from Trevor laughing with the guys and stares at her throbbing crossed fingers, she can't help wonder what she's hoping for.

Squirrels, a pack of rabid squirrels couldn't hurt. Just one rabies-filled bite could get me off the hook.

The rest of the day Mallory can't keep her mind on class. She fluctuates between anger at herself for not telling Trevor her feelings, and fear at his excitement over dating someone who isn't her. She tries to find a scenario where she comes out unscathed, and it just doesn't happen. She's doomed.

As sixth hour drags by she feels herself starting to sweat. The ticking of the clock torments her and she tries to will appendicitis to hit. Aside from a grumbling stomach from skipping lunch she can't seem to conjure a single bout of voluntary projectile vomiting. By the time the bell rings she's aware there's no out. No amount of pixie dust will help, no fairy godmother is going to show up and save the day. She's going to have to tell him she just can't do it. Best friend or not, she can't set up the one boy she's ever dreamed about with someone else.

Trevor stands waiting outside the door when she exits the class. His green eyes sparkle like a kid on Christmas morning. He grabs her by the shoulders and plants a kiss on her cheek. "You are the best. You know that right? I owe you so big! I'll do Anything."

Anything? Forget the Promposal. Forget asking Jessica to prom and let's pretend today never happened.

She blushes and puts her hand on her cheek to protect the kiss. She sees his eyebrows raise and she instantly wipes it off. "Ewwww. Listen Trevor. About the Promposal..."

Trevor pushes her toward the outer door at breakneck speed. "She's wearing a teal skirt and a jean jacket that's short. Maybe it's a hand me down, I'm not sure. Her nails are pink, like cotton candy pink and she will be hanging with the cheerleaders, they've got practice at four so you have to hurry. You got this, wingman!"

He propels her forward against her will until the cement of the front walkway is beneath her dragging sneakers. Mallory turns around in a huff ready to blow. Until she sees his expression. He looks happy. Genuinely happy. Like, scoring the game-winning goal at the biggest game of the year happy. Mallory has seen the look before. Like a sunrise it's elusive and it almost makes you do anything to catch it again. She swallows her anger, gives him a thumbs up, and heads for the senior wing wishing she had some ruby red slippers to transport her away.

Wingman. I'm his wingman. The guy of my dreams has not only friendzoned me, he's made me his flipping wingman! How do I end up in these situations with Trevor?

She makes her way to the main door of The North House wing and starts scanning the crowd. She doesn't see a teal skirt and half white jean jacket anywhere.

Well, I tried.

Suddenly from the side door comes a gang of giggling girls. The tallest, a redhead, fits the description Trevor gave her down to the pink painted fingernails. Mallory bolts to the girls and ends up smack dab in front of them blocking their way. She stares at Jessica and her mind goes completely blank. Jessica makes eye contact and does a head to toe look scrunching up her face as if she is about to be asked for a handout. Mallory instantly wishes she hadn't found her.

"Umm, Jessica?"

The redhead frowns and her almond brown eyes come to a slit. She glares at Mallory like a viper about to strike and instinctively Mal's Chuck Taylors take a small step backwards.

"Yes?" She spits the word as if her whole day has been interrupted by a bird pooping on her shoulder.

"My name is Mallory. I'm a friend of Trevor's and he asked if you would take just a minute and meet him in the auditorium. It's important, obviously, or I wouldn't have chased you down." Mallory hates herself for feeling inferior. She should have just snubbed the girl back and walked off, but this means a lot to Trevor. Besides, being looked down to wasn't exactly a new experience for her; she could take it.

"Oh, this should be good." Jessica looks at her Barbie friends and smiles, dropping her voice to a whisper. "Trevor's the googley-eyed boy I was telling you about, girls. Let's go. This could be fun." The girls giggle and follow Jessica down the walkway like ducks following their mother.

Mallory wishes there was a back route. Trevor is about to make a huge mistake. Still, if she messes this up, he will hate her. And that's something she just can't take. She follows the girls at a distance. One small runty duck following the pack. When they get to the auditorium her eyes instantly find Kyle in the wing with his iPhone in hand and a huge smile on his face. Mallory hides in the very back and off to the side to watch the show unfold.