Risky Answers

Rosella:

Obey, or die, is it? I look up into his red eyes as the morph into green eyes. They're hard, unwavering eyes. He's actually dangerous, and I'm sure he'd kill us himself. I clasp my hands together to keep them from shaking. William seems to notice and scoffs in amusement. My eyes flicker up to him. I avert my eyes as fast as I can. He's tall, his green eyes are dark, he's staring right at me. His sister, with bright platinum blonde hair, sighs and shakes her head at her brother.

"You are dismissed for the day until tomorrow," Violet abruptly decides. Her brother's eyes snap to her

"But how can you just give them the day off?" William snaps at her. He frowns at his sister, giving her a questioning look.

"They're humans, they need their rest," Violet snaps at him, stately and of unafraid of him. She lifts her chin, her small face shaped by her platinum blond hair. Violet's beautiful, like the myths say. She looks soft and kind, yet beneath the beauty, I'm sure she has a side of her like most vampires that's savage and cruel. Violet shoots him a look that makes him shrink a little in his chair. There's the monstrous side I know she has to have deep down.

"I suggest you take a tour of the castle, so you can assist our guests that will arrive tomorrow, but be warned do not touch any valuable objects. Report back to your cells by six if you wish to eat, and by seven, if you would like to avoid my brother's wrath, you have an hour and a half, and you do best to avoid it," Violet states sternly.

"So, you plan to turn me loose so late?" William grumbles sourly but is ignored.

"Thank you, I am most grateful," Ruby says sweetly, her soft little voice standing out.

"Begone now, peasants, we have business not suited to be heard by mortals!" William snaps at us and waves his arm at us. We hurry out like startled mice as fast as we can.

"Please do try to keep calm until then," Samuel suggests to William.

"I am a calm brother, but I don't know how long I can be cooped up! A little killing doesn't do any harm!" William laughs at the cruel mockery. His wicked, cold laughter echoes behind us. We can still hear him even when the door is shut. He sounds kind of morbidly sad, to be honest.

"I'm going off exploring," I tell Cole.

"Are you sure, I can come with you," he offers. 'And what would you do if Victor attacked me again?' I can't help but wonder.

"No, I'm fine, Cole. I promise I'll be okay. Alone," I tell him. He nods in solemn silence and parts away. We have the opportunity to explore the magnificent castle! I haven't been upstairs yet, and curiosity floods me. There must be thousands of steps, though. I sigh, 'gonna be strong,' I tell myself. I glance over at Cole and Victor, both walking in opposite directions. I'm curious though why Victor keeps calling Cole an abomination. What could be wrong with him? I shake the thought from my mind, and I take a deep breath before sprinting step by step up the stairs. I think I was right about there being a thousand steps, too. I find the hallway upstairs is just as grand as the downstairs. I look to my right and left, no one is around. I stroll down the hall, listening for any sign that anyone is around.

There are a few marble statues that I stop to admire, and maybe half a mile down, I stop to sit in one of the chairs to admire that painting or look out a window at the courtyard below. 'So it's not a mile-long hallway, just exaggerating-,' I laugh at myself. A castle, I'm in a castle wandering the lonesome halls. I stop to stare down at a courtyard below. A statue of an angel sits in the center. Its stone structure is perfectly polished, surround with flowers of every color. It's absolutely gorgeous. I pass by many bedrooms. I can't help but wonder if others lived here, more than just the five right now. A chill runs down my spine. My mind flickers back to the one vampire, the one with the strange powers. I slowly turn around, knees shaking like crazy. Oh- no one is behind me. How odd this is, I really thought he was there. My eyes find another eye capturing picture on the wall. The man looks like a king, perhaps the last vampire king, maybe. The painting seems old, though, and I mean ancient. He's tall, black hair, red eyes, and despite the fangs, he wears the most charming smile I've ever seen. His eyes, though, despite the redness, hold warm kindness. My jaw drops a little at this. It's just a painting, and it's a vampire. Still, this man looks kind. I find the fangs again] and tear myself away with ease. I stop at a spacious guest bedroom further down. It is quite beautiful, well furnished, painted and decorated walls, and it looks better than the other empty ones I passed by. It has soft, silk blankets on the bed, a grand fireplace near the window, and a large full-length mirror. I step toward the mirror. My hair is a tangled mess. Mother- I shake the thoughts away. Back when I was with Madame, I cleaned the dirt out, but I had yet to comb it. I begin to go through the knots, finger-combing it, and wincing as I pull on tangles. I wish they had basic hygiene available to us in the basement. It doesn't have to be a tub, I guess, at least a water pump would be nice. I finally pull through the last tangle, and my hair flows down my back neatly. I smile at myself. 'I'm a girl, with pretty hair, in a lovely dress that isn't in tatters. I can dance and sing in a giant castle. Dilly dilly je serai reine' I dream hopefully.