Chapter One

Every lady in town fantasizes about being a princess today. We dream of a carefree life in a lavish and luxurious castle. I know it may come off as naive and cliché, but times are hard. I'm not a princess yet, but it's my destiny to rise. My mother is marrying higher nobility so that I can find a better suitor. I'll bring our family name, land, wealth, and prosperity. I am thrilled that my mum will be wedded again soon. My father left town long ago, leaving us to fend for ourselves. Until then, I must be patient. I pick up the pace down the narrow streets. I have to be home soon. I didn't want to leave the party, but nor did I intend to go so late. They had performers playing excellent music on the newest string instruments, and the people there danced the night away. I was one of them, dancing my heart out with my best friends. Oh my, the most handsome men fancied me. They adored us ladies with many flowers, charming smiles, and generous compliments. I can live the party life forever. I sigh, my breath visible in the air under the eerie glow of the waning crescent moon. I will go out and party again tomorrow, just like I always do. I just have to make it home before the clock strikes midnight. The wind stirs still. I look for the clock tower, but alas, it's too far away to read. All late-night parties end before midnight by law. The wind blows down the lonesome streets. Men shut up shutters and bolt their doors for the night. Dread holds onto me. I fear I made a mistake tonight.

"It's okay, home isn't that far away," I murmur to myself. I toss my hair back over my shoulder. The clock tower rings. First low, then high, and finally, the deepest ring. 'It shouldn't be midnight already!' I note to myself. Panic catches my breath. There isn't a sound to be heard on the streets. 'Arm your families, even your children. Block the doors, and do not venture out till the sun returns!' I shake the terrible memory away. The house is within sight only so many fathoms away.

"It's okay, home is close, you'll be all right," I tell myself, again trying to calm myself. 'Stay calm,' I remind myself. I take off down the street. My ears are pierced by blood-curdling screaming. My muscles strain to move faster than I've run before. Dark figures dart through the shadows. Screams pierce the streets of the city. Home so close, yet it feels as if I'll never make it home. My fingers grasp the cold metal doorknob. I grin, laughing at myself for panicking. My eyes blow up wide. There's a cold hand wrapped around my neck. My legs dangle and kick below me. I scream and struggle in desperation.

"Mama!" I cry out, but no one comes. No one is around to save me. I am all alone.

"Aren't you a fine one?" says a tall man with shaggy black hair. I thrash about in his grasp, twisting and struggling, but I'm not going to be able to free myself. Clawing at isn't hands isn't working either. He turns me to face him. His nails dig into my skin. I open my mouth, but I can hardly breathe.

"Y-your, you're hurting me," I croak, finally finding words. I crack a pretty little smile at him. He smiles at me, but there is no humor in his gruff, dirty face. The corners of his cold red eyes show crow's feet, but there's something wild about him. He chuckles under his breath.

"And do I care? No!" he shouts at me; his cold, stinking breath shoots me the face. I become tight-lipped. He starts moving towards a large wooden crate. I don't want to be in that crate. 'Struggle, fight, do something!' My mind screams at me. I gasp for air and start to thrash about again. He has to lose his grip eventually, but then he throws me aside. I scream for dear life. The smell of his breath clouds around me. His chilling breath smells as bad as rancid, decaying meat. I'm sent rolling along the pavement and, finally, come to a sudden halt on the stone pavement. I reach desperately for my furs, strewn across the street. The shaggy-haired man is coming for me, and all I can do is glare straight at him. I should run in fear, but instead, I cower in fear. Without a thought, he kicks me aside like an old rag doll. My dress tears. He's coming this way. I scramble to my hands and knees. The best I can do is struggle into the large crate gasping for air. There was so much force behind the attack it's incomprehensible. Something is off about him. No man is that wickedly strong. The cover for the box is raised, covering us in darkness. The only light inside is shining moonlight through holes at the top. The box abruptly lurches. Several people, including me to roll to the right. Horse hooves begin tapping at the pavement. 'They are taking us somewhere! What is going on?' I wonder as my pulse rises, my body trembles harder, and my goosebumps raise higher.