wedding vows

one year afterwards

Harry and I had been together for a year and two months. We had visited multiple places, Harry claiming that he needed to hear every little thing. It was funny, yet cute. He was like a child.

He said that hearing was such a wonderful thing, and he couldn't believe he'd been half deaf his entire life. He told me he couldn't get enough of my voice, that it was the raspiest thing he's ever heard (ha ha) and that it was most beautiful. I only shook my head and denied that.

But, I guess I had an effect on him. Because he asked me to marry him.

Vows were hard to write. I didn't want to ramble on forever, but I wanted to tell him how I feel. I sat up all night figuring out what to write. Nothing.

I called my mom, asked her. Nothing.

I was just gonna wing it.

So, now, I stood in front of him at the alter and had no idea what to say. What to say to the man I was about to marry. Marry. Words to say, to the man, I was going, to marry.

What the hell.

"Amelia?" Harry whispers, looking at me. He looked highly concerned.

"Sorry." I say nervously, clearing my throat. Words, where are you words?

"I didn't plan my vows, I was going to wing it. Pathetic, I know. But now I'm standing here, and my God, I'm speechless. Literally speechless, I cannot think of a word to say to you." I admit.

He laughs at me, shaking his head. His eyes crinkle slightly, the beautiful smile I loved popping onto his face.

"I'll give you some time." he shrugs, like it was no big deal.

I stood in silence, in front of all our friends and family, thinking of the words to tell him. The man I loved more than I loved the moon, or the sunflowers wrapped around my house.

Minutes passed, and I still stood silence. God, Amelia, just say something. And then, a lightbulb turned on in my head. Finally.

"My name is Amelia. I'm 25 years old, and I work at a Law Firm. I take the free train to and from work, and I'm currently living in an apartment. In four short months, you managed to sneak into my life and make me want you without saying a word to me. Everything that has happened since the first time we met has been the biggest part of my life. Seeing your smile, hearing your voice, seeing you hear everything for the first time. Watching you become more interested in the world has been beyond amazing, I cannot begin to fathom that. I love you, Harry. I've loved you more than I've loved anything before." I stumble out the last bit, choking on my own tears.

"That, uh, being said, I will promise you these things: I will never hold you back from doing whatever you love, I will never force you to do something you hate, I will love you through all of your bad days, and I will love you through all of your good. I'm here for you through everything. And I hope it's the same for you. Also, if one day you decide you hate your hearing aids, I will still love you. Harry, you're my world. Thank you for taking the free train one year ago and nine months ago."

Harry looks at me in complete silence, his face blank and emotionless. Usually, I'd be bothered. But I knew Harry like the back of my hand: he hated crying in front of people with such a deadly passion. He was avoiding doing just that.

"My God, Amelia." he mutters finally, voice cracking as a single tear slowly rolls down his cheek. "How am I going to top that?" he laughs lightly.

"From the beginning, I always thought you were weird. You always looked at me on the train, and you intimidated me slightly. Don't think I didn't notice. I didn't know if I liked you right away, but five months later you took my heart and ran with it." he says into the mic, clearing his throat. "I hope you keep running, I don't want you to stop loving me and I never want to stop loving you. I want to be ninety and smelly with you, sitting on our porch and drinking coffee. I will always love you. Even when you're being a grouch and I can't stand you. You'll always have all my love. That being said, of course, there's the basics: simply, I will always let you be you. I'll always let you be free, and I won't ever tie you down. I won't tell you what you can and can't do. And forever, I will love you."

Before the minister could say another word, Harry had pulled me to him and slammed his lips onto mine so hard I thought I had broken a tooth. The crowd only laughed, standing in the pillars and screaming. It was the end of a beautiful, messy love story. It was my happily ever after... but better.