Chapter Four - Letters In A Lunchbox

~~~~

~
~
~
~

"Don't you have anything better to do?" I grumbled with an edge as I approached Shelby, whose eyes were locked on the group of boys behind me. I didn't mean to act so cranky, but the last 72 hours of my life had been a nightmare.

I spent my entire weekend taking care of an extremely sick Eddie; mom and dad were both stuck working one of their rare double shifts, so the task of taking care of him fell onto my shoulders.

I would do anything for my little brother, don't get me wrong. But one could go without sleep for only so long. So add on the fact that the time currently stood at 8:15 and I got no sleep, yeah, cranky would be a natural emotion at the moment.

A yawn escaped my lips and I shoved Shelby away from my locker, successfully knocking her out of whatever daydream she had been wrapped up in. Stupid girl ...

"What?" she asked defensively, standing up a bit straighter. "Shane is one hot piece of man!"

She shook her head and poked me on the forehead. "Even someone as blind as you could see that."

Glancing over my shoulder, I watched the obnoxious man standing there pushing his friend and his friend pushing him back, the laughter following sounding way too loud and almost forced.

I honestly wish I could use my powers of perception for good in this instance, telling you that beneath the idiotic exterior of Shane Wilder existed a soft-hearted poet who drank coffee and wrote heartfelt sonnets until the wee hours of the morning. Poet by night, moron by day. It's like some messed up version of Batman.

However, I can't tell you that because Shane has no substance. He's just an idiot. A hot idiot, yes, but an idiot never the less.

"Oh, spare me, Shelby. He's Shane - you could do so much better," I tossed back at her, twirling the combination to my locker in. I heard her gasp and start into a rant about how nobody could do better than Shane, blah, blah, blah.

I bit my lip, eyeballing the book in my locker. Fingers reaching out, I let them stroke the cover. This book ... my attention had been well and truly captured by it. Extraordinary came to mind. This 'Oliver' chose wisely in the first book to push my way.

Looking over at Shelby, who still had her mouth running about Shane and his oh so obvious perfection, I contemplated letting her in on the secret. I wanted to tell her. I really did. But to be honest, the fear of her pushing me to say yes remained strong in the back of my mind.

But what if that is exactly what I wanted? Maybe I just wanted someone to tell me that this idea didn't come off as totally weird and that I didn't seem completely crazy for wanting to do it. Yes, I actually thought several times over the weekend about just knuckling under and writing a letter back. I just didn't quite know how I felt about it yet.

I gulped back my indecision and nerves and waited for Shelby to take a breath before hesitantly saying, "So ... uhm, Shell?"

Her eyes immediately pinned me and narrowed. Turning back from this fate no longer held it's position as an option. She took one step closer and scrutinized me before breaking out into her famous grin. "Okay, who is it? Do I know him? Tell me! Tell me, tell me!"