The Art Museum

I woke up the next day seeing all white and at first I thought I was in heaven, but no.

I was in my room.

There were pictures of cityscapes, city lights, and some printed out inspirational quotes on canvases that hung on the white walls above my bed; there were borderless shelves with my books on there too, just in the spaces that didn't have the art decors.

The room was brightly lit by the sunlight seeping through the ocean blue curtains, and I was alone, wrapped around in subtle grey sheets.

During dinner last night, we haven't brought up the downside of things that occurred. Instead, we recalled memories of our childhood (including my dad's) and how funny the things that happened to us seem now.

The goal was to cheer Felicity up, even though it wasn't something planned. She had been quiet as she sat and chewed on her food and I didn't want her to be sad the whole day so I tried to think about life's bloopers that could lighten up the mood.

At first she was a bit timid to join dad and I, but she began to smile to herself as she kept on listening to dad's tale of how he almost fell into a large fish tank during a school field trip back when he was twelve and that his friends tried to pull him back by pulling at his bottoms that ended up being pulled down, revealing his bum.

The whole class laughed at him, and so did we and we haven't even seen it ourselves.

Strange how our worst encounters become the best stories to tell.

When we all felt tired but satisfied at that supper, we all went to our rooms, our dad kissing us both good night.

I had to stay for a while, thanked my dad for everything and gave him a huge, warm bear hug.

Felicity wasn't in my room when I walked in, so I barged in into hers and found her standing by the edge of her bed, looking at me with a shy smile.

I asked her if she was going to sleep in my room instead, but she said she was fine. She handed me my bag that was there beside her bed, bid me good night and shut the door.

I didn't want to bother her anymore, so I just went back to my room, threw my bag under the study table, hopped in bed and fell asleep.

I didn't even pay attention to the phone frantically ringing, because that ringtone was Natalia's.

When I woke up, I checked my watch that lay on the small wooden study table just beside my bed. It was thirty minutes to seven and my classes start at eight.

I clambered out of bed and rushed to my wardrobe, grabbing a green plaid shirt, some jeans and a pair of black socks. I seized my white sneakers, tied my long and thin jet-black hair into a ponytail, wore my watch, and rushed to the kitchen.

"Good morning, snooze-a-lot."

My head shot to my dad who was leaning onto the edge of the sink, drinking a steaming mug of coffee. He was already in his business casual attire, and his dark hair was neat on his head.

I gave him a smile. "I'm late."

"I know." He spoke over his mug. "Breakfast is over there."

He pointed at a brown paper bag on the dining table with his free hand, and I hugged him gratefully.

"Thanks, pops!"

He laughed. "Don't thank me. Now get going!"

I ran back to my room, brushed my teeth, washed my face, emptied some books out of my bag, checked the keys in the small pocket, ran back outside whilst snatching the paper bag and waving a quick "goodbye" to my dad and Felicity, who looked like she just got out of the shower.