Chapter 8 - Lost and Found

Theron slunk back into the warren, the corpse of the smaller Hunter dangling from her jaws. The Guardian still lay sleeping in the corner of the warren, her gaunt frame stretched out across the ground. The corpse hit the floor with a solid thump, rousing Felicia from her uneasy sleep. Her skin was covered in half-healed blisters, having taken on an unhealthy red sheen. She slowly sat up, limbs trembling. They had been travelling for a good part of three days and she was clutching to the last of her energy reserves, she needed water soon or it was all going to be for naught.

      Theron moved around, gently nudging her into a sitting position before setting about ripping small chunks  of meat from the carcass and placed them in Felicia's outstretched hand. She sat and watched the Guardian as she gingerly pulled forth the gasmask, dropping the piece of meat almost instantly. Letting the gasmask snap back into position she ate the chunk, her face twisting in distaste at the raw meat. But aside from the foul taste it was her only source of fluids and despite wanting to gag she laboriously went about making sure she didn't miss a single drip with her darting tongue.

      All of their meals had gone like this, Theron tearing off chunks and handing them over before ripping her way into the carcass, undeterred by the taste. Felicia shuddered as she finished her meal, arm aching to reach up and wipe off the blood that must have dried onto her skin. Theron looked up at her after moment, cocking her head, poking the carcass in her direction slightly, as if asking her if she wanted more, just like that first morning of their journey across the desert.

Felicia's stomach growled, the uncomfortable churning in her gut waking her. Soft light caused long shadows across the uneven ground. She slowly sat up her muscles screaming in protest as she moved. She froze halfway through rubbing her eyes when something hit home: Theron wasn't here.

      Heart pounding against her rib cage as she looked around frantically, hoping that she had merely missed the Hunter. But the Hunter was nowhere to be seen, the only hint that she had ever been there being scrape footprints that covered the ground. Her breath starting to get ragged as fear took over she crawled back into the wall, hands beginning to shake as the light was blocked out. Eyes locked on the entrance into the small chamber Felicia nearly passed out from relief as Theron entered, a large reptilian Hunter clasped in her jaws. The Hunter turned to face her, cocking her head at Felicia, ears twitching in time to her racing heartbeat. Felicia felt a blush rise up her cheeks, struggling to get it under control as Theron dropped the carcass. She settled down, looking at her expectantly. Felicia stared at it for a long moment before looking up at Theron who was starting to get impatient. Making a trilling noise the Hunter nudged the carcass towards her. Felicia's nose wrinkled in distaste as she realized what Theron wanted. Not wanting to offend the Hunter she pointed at the gasmask, mimed taking it off and pretended to choke and slumped against the wall.

      Theron snorted, making a shrugging motion and began tearing into the Hunter.

Although the thought of eating it made Felicia cringe, her stomach growled. Theron looked up, a rumbling sound coming up her throat, akin to a chuckle as she tore out a small chunk, leaning forth to drop it on Felicia's lap. Picking up the chunk gingerly she felt her stomach heave, looking over at Theron almost pleadingly. The Hunter snorted, merely blinking in responce and fixed her with a stare until she buckled and dropped the chunk behind the gasmask and ate it, face twisting with disgust.

      Theron either didn't see the expression on her companion's face or chose to ignore it, tearing out another chunk and held it out to her. Felicia gagged, clutching her throat as her stomach heaved, bile rising. She shook her head and scrambled back. Shrugging, Theron simply snapped up the chunk herself and went about tearing at the carcass.